Question on atomic spectra.

In summary, the conversation revolves around a spectroscope experiment with a hydrogen discharge tube and obtaining data for the red line. The individual is seeking an explanation for finding the values of n1 and n2 and how to use them to calculate E. Suggestions are given to look up the Bohr Atomic theory and use the method proposed by SpaceTiger. The individual eventually figures out the value for n1 and thanks for the help. However, there is some confusion regarding the values of n1 and n2 for other lines.
jzq
I did a spectroscope experiment with a hydrogen discharge tube.

So far I got this data:

[tex]Line 1:[/tex]

[tex]Color=Red[/tex]

[tex]\lambda(nm)=700[/tex]

[tex]\nu(Hz)=4.2*10^{14}[/tex]

[tex]n1=?[/tex]

[tex]n2=?[/tex]

[tex]\Delta{E}(J)=2.8*10^{-19}[/tex]

[tex]E(J)=?[/tex]

This is only the data for the Red line. I figured if i knew how to do this, I'll be able find the rest of the data for the other lines. I need an explanation on how to get [tex]n1[/tex]. Once I know how, I'll be able to do the rest on my own. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Among the spectra of the H atom (Balmer,Rydberg,Pfund,Brackett,...),which has emission/absorption lines in the visible side of the spectrum...?

Daniel.

[tex]n1=?[/tex]

[tex]n2=?[/tex]

[tex]\Delta{E}(J)=2.8*10^{-19}[/tex]

Remember that

[tex]\Delta{E}=13.6 (\frac{1}{n_1^2}-\frac{1}{n_2^2})~eV[/tex]

Since [tex]n_1[/tex] and [tex]n_2[/tex] can only be integers, there are a finite number of transitions that could give an energy near what you observed. Try a bunch of them out and see what you get.

Look up the Bohr Atomic theory for the energies of electronic levels and hence for the energies associated with the transitions between levels (you can even derive the relation from angular momentum quantization, Newton's Laws and Coulomb's Law). You might also try to Google "Rydberg".

:confused: Sorry...I don't compute any of the responses.

Doesn't your textbook discuss the hydrogen spectrum, and give the n's for the energy levels involved in the visible lines?

Or are you supposed to try to figure out what the n's are from your data, and pretend that you don't know them in advance? In that case SpaceTiger's method is the way to go. If you can tell us what you don't understand about it, someone can probably explain it in more detail. But just saying "I don't compute" doesn't give us much to go on. :confused:

jtbell said:
Doesn't your textbook discuss the hydrogen spectrum, and give the n's for the energy levels involved in the visible lines?

Or are you supposed to try to figure out what the n's are from your data, and pretend that you don't know them in advance? In that case SpaceTiger's method is the way to go. If you can tell us what you don't understand about it, someone can probably explain it in more detail. But just saying "I don't compute" doesn't give us much to go on. :confused:
Sorry. Anyways, I figured it out...or atleast I think so. n1=2 because visible light transitions from n=2 therefore all of the n1 for the other lines will be 2(correct me if I am wrong). So I just use that and the data that I obtained and EUREKA! Thanks a lot for your help though guys!

Last edited:
jzq said:
Sorry. Anyways, I figured it out...or atleast I think so. n1=2 because visible light transitions from n=2 therefore all of the n1 for the other lines will be 2(correct me if I am wrong).

Hmm, I don't think so. You're right that as n2 becomes very large, the lines become hard to distinguish, but n2=3 (the balmer alpha line) and n2=4 (the balmer beta line) are quite different.

1. What is atomic spectra?

Atomic spectra refers to the unique pattern of wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed by an atom. It is a characteristic property of each element and can be used to identify unknown elements.

2. How is atomic spectra produced?

Atomic spectra is produced when electrons in an atom absorb energy and move to higher energy levels, or when they return to lower energy levels and emit the excess energy in the form of light. The specific wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed depend on the energy levels of the electrons in the atom.

3. What is the significance of atomic spectra in chemistry?

Atomic spectra is important in chemistry as it allows us to identify elements and study their properties. It also provides evidence for the existence of energy levels in atoms, which is a fundamental concept in understanding chemical bonding and reactions.

4. How can atomic spectra be used in practical applications?

Atomic spectra has various practical applications, such as in spectroscopy, which is used to analyze the composition of substances. It is also used in astronomy to identify the elements present in stars and other celestial bodies.

5. Can atomic spectra change?

Yes, atomic spectra can change under different conditions, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the chemical environment of the atom. This can result in shifts in the wavelengths of light emitted or absorbed, which can provide valuable information about the atom and its surroundings.