Living in Warsaw, and proud of it

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary: It's on my list to visit!That is beautiful. I hope to travel to Europe some day. It's so expensive. If I come to Warsaw, can I stay at your house? I'll buy breakfast every morning.Call me when you get here, we will try to arrange something :wink:
Borek
Mentor
Living in Warsaw, and proud of it :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WiyotL_HL8

No, I didn't shot it. But it is not about me, it is about my city :smile:

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
A bit lacking in stave churches, but otherwise it looks like a charming city well worth a visit! :smile:

Borek said:

Oh dear. It looks like whoever has been planning our city, stole many of your ideas. Electric light trains everywhere. We even stole your bridge design!

Warsaw.Bridge.and.Cranes.2013.11.30.jpg

Portland.Bridge.and.Cranes.2013.11.30.jpg

I really must come visit. It looks just like home. :smile:

Warsaw.Vistula.Christmas.card.jpg

Portland.Willamette.Christmas.card.jpg

That is beautiful. I hope to travel to Europe some day. It's so expensive. If I come to Warsaw, can I stay at your house? I'll buy breakfast every morning.

Call me when you get here, we will try to arrange something :wink:

Borek said:

Great! Wish there was some same scene footage from ~1990 for comparison.

Hardly the same place, but definitely the same city, just exactly 20 years ago:

Last edited by a moderator:
OmCheeto said:
We even stole your bridge design!
It's interesting how fads in architecture propagate around the world. The Anzac Bridge is of similar design, and among the cable-stayed bridges of the world, it seems to be growing more common. For some reason, I particularly like this one.

Hi Borek. Thanks for sharing that video! What struck me was how new the entire city seems to be. But what really interested me were those one or two shots that seemed to show how old the city is. I’ve always been very interested in history and the Second World War especially. My parents lived in London at the time and always talked about “the Blitz”. My mom (died Oct. 2012) had a piece of shrapnel she kept in her jewelry box from a Nazi bomb. She worked at SHAEF headquarters as a telephone operator during the war. As a telephone operator, she wore a headset with a microphone and she ran one of those boards you see with wires plugging into it everywhere. She always proudly recalled how she might on occasion; connect someone to Eisenhower or some other top ranking official. She had tons of interesting stories.

London was spared the very worst of it of course. There was considerable damage to the city, but not as badly as some places like Warsaw. I’ve visited London twice but not too many other European cities. Not Warsaw. I’d be curious how much there is left from before the war. And are the few shots in that movie showing older buildings that stood prior to the war?

The history of the war amazes me. What strikes me about the Polish people and those in Warsaw in particular, is how they exemplified how people SHOULD act in even the worst of circumstances. Their history is very impressive.

Old City was almost completely destroyed during and after Warsaw Uprising, so what you see was rebuilt, back in early fifties.

IMG_7836.jpg

There is a construction boom going on in Warsaw, many of the buildings, especially in the business center ARE new. Many living quarters were repaired in the recent years and you can be sure whoever shot the video selected the good looking views. Doesn't mean everything is bright and shiny, but the city definitely looks great. I suppose best moment to visit will be in about a year from now, when the new metro line will be ready. At the moment large parts of the center are difficult to navigate.

1. What makes living in Warsaw unique?

Living in Warsaw offers a blend of historical charm and modern amenities. The city has a rich cultural heritage, with numerous museums, theaters, and galleries to explore. It also has a thriving food scene, with traditional Polish dishes and international cuisine. Additionally, Warsaw is known for its green spaces and parks, providing a peaceful escape from the bustling city life.

2. How is the cost of living in Warsaw?

The cost of living in Warsaw is relatively affordable compared to other major European cities. Rent prices and daily expenses such as groceries and transportation are lower than in cities like Paris or London. However, the cost of living can vary depending on the neighborhood and lifestyle choices.

3. Is it easy to get around Warsaw?

Yes, Warsaw has a well-developed public transportation system, including buses, trams, and a metro system. The city is also very bike-friendly, with bike lanes and rental services available. Additionally, many areas in the city are walkable, making it easy to explore on foot.

4. What is the job market like in Warsaw?

Warsaw is the economic center of Poland, with a diverse job market. The city is home to many international corporations and has a growing startup scene. Additionally, there are opportunities in various industries, including finance, technology, and tourism.

5. How is the quality of education in Warsaw?

Warsaw has a robust education system, with top-ranking universities and schools. The city has a wide range of educational institutions, from public universities to private international schools. Furthermore, many universities offer programs in English, making it a popular destination for international students.