Vibration, frequency, sonic warfare, and tattooing

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible connection between long exposure to the frequency of a tattoo pen and feeling sick after getting a tattoo. It also asks for any recent research on frequencies of the body. The flu-like symptoms are most likely caused by the body's response to the stress of getting a tattoo.
alinta
Hi there!

Just as a disclaimer before I start: I am new to physics and new to these forums, so please be kind if I say anything that seems silly to those who know more than me on the subject. :)

I've been looking at this old thread about the human body and frequencies, linked below, due to a sudden interest in sonic warfare after having a strange dream. And it seems that at the time there were some discrepancies. At the same time as looking at this, I was listening to a conversation between people who had sat for large tattoo pieces. They were saying that for a day or so after getting the tattoo, they always felt very sick, as if they had the 'flu.

So I sort of have two questions/discussions:

1) Do you think it could be at all possible that there could be any connection between long exposure to the frequency of the vibration of a tattoo pen, and this 'uncomfortable' feeling described? (Beyond simply being a response to the pain or simply the vestibular system being overworked?) A tattoo website says that the usual frequencies used are between 100-150HZ. Or would the frequency need to be much much lower to have an effect?

2) And secondly, does anyone know of any recent peer-reviewed and published material on frequencies of the body more generally? I have a good book from the library, however it is from 1976 so I am unsure whether any of this has been debunked since then.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=231156&page=2

Thanks for any contributing thoughts!
Alinta

Biology news on Phys.org
The flu-like symptoms are most likely caused by the damage the needle does to the skin.

Not only is the body in the process of repairing damage to the skin, someone being subjected to an acute stress situation, such as being on the receiving end of a tattoo procedure, also experiences a "fight/flight" response, more pronounced is some than others. This effect upon the body and the nervous system can manifest itself as "illness" after the stress has been removed, wheras while being under the acute stress the body changes would probably go unnoticed by most individuals.

So the OP will have to filter out the predominance of bodily response to vibration, body repair, and stress was responsible for waht was overheard in the conversation.

1. What is vibration and how does it affect us?

Vibration is the rapid back-and-forth motion of an object or medium. It can be felt as a physical sensation and can also be detected by specialized instruments. Our bodies are constantly exposed to various forms of vibration, such as sound waves, which can affect our physical and emotional states.

2. What is frequency and why is it important in relation to vibration?

Frequency is the number of times a vibration occurs per second. It is an essential aspect of vibration because it determines the pitch of a sound or the intensity of a vibration. Different frequencies can have different effects on the human body, and certain frequencies are believed to have healing or therapeutic properties.

3. What is sonic warfare and how does it use vibration and frequency?

Sonic warfare is the use of sound as a weapon in warfare or other forms of conflict. It can involve the use of high-intensity, low-frequency sounds to cause physical harm or disrupt the enemy's communication and coordination. It can also use specific frequencies to induce psychological effects such as fear or disorientation.

4. How does tattooing use vibration and frequency?

Tattooing involves using a needle to penetrate the skin and deposit ink, which creates a design or pattern. The needle creates vibrations that are felt as a buzzing sensation, and the frequency of these vibrations can affect the level of pain experienced during the tattooing process. Some tattoo artists also use specific frequencies to enhance the healing process and reduce pain and swelling.

5. Can vibration and frequency have any negative effects on the human body?

While vibration and frequency can have many positive effects, they can also have negative effects on the human body. Prolonged exposure to high-intensity, low-frequency sounds can lead to hearing loss and other physical symptoms. Additionally, certain frequencies can cause discomfort or even pain, and may trigger adverse reactions in individuals with certain health conditions. It is important to use vibration and frequency in a safe and responsible manner.