Which is better and why? - Two Pump Configurations

• Thread starter eng_taha_a
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the conversation is discussing two pump configurations and deciding which one is better. The new engineer believes that situation A is better due to the fluid being closer to the pump inlet, despite the potential turbulence caused by an elbow. The other person agrees and mentions the potential issues with cavitation and priming.
eng_taha_a
which is better and why? -- Two Pump Configurations

hi,
i'm new engineer in automation company and my boss gave me the problem you see and gave my 5 days to answer it .
for me i think that situation A is better than B because the fluid is nearby the pump inlet although i think the elbow will make some turbulence at the pump inlet .

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 335
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree. I'd take proximity over possible turbulence any day. If the pump begins to cavitate, that extra length of pipe will only make matters worse. Also, if the pump requires priming, it'll be easier with the shorter length.

What are the two types of pump configurations?

The two types of pump configurations are the parallel and series configurations.

What is the difference between the parallel and series configurations?

In a parallel configuration, both pumps are connected to the same source and work together to pump fluid. In a series configuration, the fluid is pumped through one pump and then through the other.

Which configuration is more efficient?

The efficiency of each configuration depends on various factors such as flow rate, head pressure, and type of fluid being pumped. In general, a parallel configuration is more efficient for high flow rates and a series configuration is more efficient for high head pressures.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each configuration?

The advantages of a parallel configuration include increased flow rate and redundancy in case one pump fails. The disadvantages include higher initial cost and potential for unequal distribution of workload between pumps. The advantages of a series configuration include increased head pressure and lower initial cost. The disadvantages include decreased flow rate and potential for pump cavitation.

Which configuration should I choose for my specific application?

The best configuration for your application will depend on your specific needs and requirements. It is important to consult with a pump expert to determine the most suitable configuration for your specific situation.