BransDicke Cosmology and Accelerated Exlansion

• Thread starter Quantizer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary, the paper discusses the construction of a cosmology for the accelerated expansion of the universe using Brans-Dicke theory. The alternative theories that can also predict the accelerating expansion include the concordance model (\LambdaCDM), Einstein's general relativity with a cosmological constant, and loop quantum cosmology. However, none of these theories have been successful in predicting the exact value of the cosmological constant. Additional resources for further study on these topics include the textbooks "Fields" and "ASTROPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY" as well as the lecture notes "Lecture Notes on General Relativity" by Matthias Blau.
Quantizer
I have just seen this paper on constructing a cosmology for the accelerated expansion of the universe through BransDicke theory

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1402.4291v1.pdfBesides this approach

What are the alternative or leading cosmological theories that can predict to some fairly strong confidence the accelerating expansion of the universe

Space news on Phys.org
The concordance model is [itex]\Lambda[/itex]CDM. Though its certainly not the only model that can show the expansion history. The FLRW metrics of the Lambda CDM can easily do that.. its also the model most used in most of the cosmology textbooks

Einstein's general relativity has a cosmological constant term in it which produces, as far as I know, exactly the accelerated expansion we observe. So, that's one alternative, and perhaps the simplest alternative.

Now if you are asking what theories will give you this value for the cosmological constant (since it's a constant of integration in Einstein's GR, there's no way internally to the theory of predicting this constant), then there are myriad attempted possibilities with varying degrees of success (none are very close to being successful as far as I know). The accelerated expansion of the universe is, at this point, a mystery.

Forgot to mention another strong model is loop quantum cosmology LQC. If your interested in fields in general to describe many of the aspects of cosmology I recommend this free textbook.

"Fields"

http://arxiv.org/abs/hepth/9912205

a free textbook for LCDM can be found here

ASTROPHYSICS AND COSMOLOGY
http://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-ph/0004188v1.pdf

can't help on LQC as I study LCDM

for the various metrics of GR and SR I recommend
"Lecture Notes on General Relativity" by Matthias Blau

http://www.blau.itp.unibe.ch/newlecturesGR.pdf

I'm still studying the last article myself

Last edited:
?Thank you for sharing this paper on BransDicke cosmology and the accelerated expansion of the universe. The idea of using BransDicke theory to explain the accelerated expansion is certainly an interesting one, and it is important to explore alternative approaches in order to gain a better understanding of this phenomenon.

One of the most widely accepted theories for the accelerated expansion of the universe is the Lambda-CDM model, which incorporates both dark energy and dark matter. This model has been extensively tested and is consistent with a variety of observational data, making it a strong candidate for explaining the accelerated expansion.

Another theory that has gained attention in recent years is modified gravity, which suggests that the laws of gravity may be different on large scales than what we observe on Earth. This theory has been used to explain the accelerated expansion without the need for dark energy, and has also been tested against observational data.

Other theories that have been proposed include the holographic principle, which suggests that the information in the universe is encoded on the surface of its boundary, and the theory of phantom energy, which suggests that the expansion of the universe will eventually lead to its destruction.

Overall, there is still much debate and research happening in the field of cosmology to explain the accelerated expansion of the universe. While the Lambda-CDM model is currently the most widely accepted, it is important to continue exploring alternative theories, such as BransDicke cosmology, in order to gain a more complete understanding of this phenomenon.

1. What is Brans-Dicke cosmology?

Brans-Dicke cosmology is an alternative theory of gravity proposed by physicists Carl Brans and Robert Dicke in the 1960s. It suggests that the force of gravity is not constant, but instead varies with time and location.

2. How does Brans-Dicke cosmology explain accelerated expansion?

In Brans-Dicke cosmology, the variable force of gravity is responsible for the observed accelerated expansion of the universe. This is achieved through a scalar field, known as the "dilaton," which acts as a source of repulsive gravity, counteracting the attractive force of traditional gravity.

3. Is Brans-Dicke cosmology supported by observational evidence?

While Brans-Dicke cosmology is an intriguing alternative to traditional theories of gravity, it has not been widely accepted due to a lack of strong observational evidence. Some studies have shown potential support for the theory, but more research is needed for it to be widely accepted.

4. How does Brans-Dicke cosmology differ from the standard model of cosmology?

The standard model of cosmology, known as the Lambda-CDM model, assumes a constant force of gravity and includes a cosmological constant (Lambda) to explain the accelerated expansion. Brans-Dicke cosmology, on the other hand, proposes a varying force of gravity and does not require a cosmological constant.

5. What are some potential implications of Brans-Dicke cosmology?

If Brans-Dicke cosmology were to be supported by future research and observations, it would challenge our understanding of gravity and the fundamental principles of the universe. It could also have implications for other areas of physics, such as the study of dark energy and the nature of spacetime.