Mathematical Products: Geometric vs. Tensor

In summary, the difference between geometric product and tensor product is that the former is the algebra multiplication in a real Clifford algebra, while the latter is obtained via multiplication in the tensor algebra. However, there is a relation between the two, as a Clifford algebra can be obtained as a quotient of the tensor algebra. Geometric product is used in Euclidean space, while tensor product is more generalized and can be used in non-Euclidean spaces, as shown in Einstein's work. The tensor product has both a symmetric and skew-symmetric part, with the former representing the inner product and the latter representing the wedge product.
mikeeey
hello every body.
may i know what is the difference between geometric product and tensor product ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if you're looking for a more elementary explanation but the way I understand it, a geometric product is just the algebra multiplication in a (real) Clifford algebra while the tensor product is obtained via the multiplication in the tensor algebra.

There is a relation between these two objects since a Clifford algebra can be obtained as a quotient of the tensor algebra. Concretely, let [itex] V [/itex] be a (real in the case of geometric products) vector space. Then the tensor algebra is defined by
[tex] \mathcal{T}(V) =\sum_{i=0}^\infty \bigotimes {}^i V [/tex]
and to construct the Clifford algebra associated to some quadratic form [itex] q[/itex] on [itex] V [/itex], you take the quotient [itex] \mathcal{Cl}(V,q)=\mathcal{T} /\mathcal{I}_q(V) [/itex]
where [itex] \mathcal{I}_q(V) [/itex] is the ideal generated by the elements [itex] v\otimes v+q(v)1 [/itex] where [itex] v\in V [/itex].

So, to get a kind of intuitive picture, the geometric product is obtained in two steps. First you take the tensor multiplication in the tensor algebra, then using the fact that [itex] v\otimes v=-q(v)1 [/itex] in the Clifford algebra (the sign is just a convention here, sometimes the positive sign is taken in the definition,) you can get rid of all the squares in the resulting expression using the quadratic form.

thank you very much Terandol for the useful explanation .

I found hours ago that : the geometric product works only in euclidean space while the tensor product is more generalized in non-euclidean space according to Einstein work .
where the tensor has symmetric and skew-symmetric parts ,where the symmetric part represents the inner product and the skew-symmetric part represents the wedge product.

1. What is the difference between geometric and tensor products in mathematics?

The geometric product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a scalar or vector result, depending on the context. It is commonly used in geometric algebra, a mathematical framework that extends traditional vector algebra to higher dimensions. On the other hand, the tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors or matrices to produce a tensor, which is a multi-dimensional array of numbers. It is used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including linear algebra, differential geometry, and quantum mechanics.

2. How do you compute the geometric product of two vectors?

To compute the geometric product of two vectors, you first multiply their magnitudes, then multiply the sine of the angle between them, and finally multiply the cosine of the angle between them. This results in a scalar or vector quantity, depending on the context. In vector algebra, the geometric product is denoted by a dot (·) or wedge (⋅) symbol between the two vectors. In geometric algebra, it is denoted by juxtaposition (AB) or a raised dot (A·B).

3. What is the significance of the geometric product in geometric algebra?

The geometric product is a fundamental operation in geometric algebra, which provides a powerful and elegant mathematical framework for dealing with geometric problems in any number of dimensions. It allows for a unified treatment of rotations, translations, reflections, and other transformations, making it particularly useful in computer graphics, robotics, and physics. Additionally, the geometric product naturally extends to higher dimensions, making it a versatile tool in many areas of mathematics.

4. Can the tensor product be applied to other mathematical objects besides vectors and matrices?

Yes, the tensor product can be applied to any two mathematical objects that can be multiplied together. In general, it takes two objects of arbitrary dimension and returns an object of higher dimension. For example, in linear algebra, the tensor product can be used to define higher-order tensors, which are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers that represent linear transformations between vector spaces. In topology, the tensor product of topological spaces is used to construct new spaces, such as the product space or the smash product.

5. How does the tensor product relate to the geometric product?

The tensor product and geometric product are closely related, as the geometric product can be seen as a special case of the tensor product. In fact, in geometric algebra, the geometric product is defined in terms of the tensor product. Additionally, the tensor product of two vectors can be interpreted as a superposition of two geometric products, one corresponding to the scalar part and the other to the vector part. In this sense, the tensor product provides a more general framework for understanding the geometric product.