Non-parametric single set test of the mean

In summary: I am testing the hypothesis that the mean of the population is greater than zero. I'm not testing anything else. The Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test is a parametric test that is used to compare the medians of two or more groups. It is not a test for the mean. The Wilcoxon Signed-Rank Test is a parametric test that is used to compare the medians of two or more groups. It is not a test for the mean.
FunkyDwarf
Hey gang,

I was wondering if there is a non-parametric version of the single set TTest? I know that often people refer to the Wilcoxon signed-rank test, but my understanding is that only tells you about the median, correct? Is there an equivalent that deals strictly with the mean?

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

"Single sample T-test" instead of "Single set T-test"?

You should explain whether you are dealing with a particular problem or whether you are just stringing some words together to ask a theoretical question. Since the mean of a distribution is a parameter, how can we interpret the adjective "non-parametric" in a test "for the mean". What hyypothesis would be tested?

I am dealing with a particular problem. I have a single set which I cannot assume is normally distributed, even when playing the transformation game. I would like to test whether or not the mean of this set is greater than zero in a way that is not dependent on some underlying distribution which has parameters. I would assume that given such a test exists for the median, admittedly not usually a parameter in distributions anyway, one would exist for the sample mean in the same manner, is this not correct?

I know of no nonparametric hypothesis tests for the hypothesis that the mean of an arbitrary population is zero (or some other constant value). I think you need to assume some restrictions on the population distribution in order to have a nonparametric test. Most obviously, you need to assume the distribution has a mean value. If you assume the distribution is symmetric about the mean then there is something called a "sign test" that can be used.

( An interesting theoretical challenge would be to prove there is no nonparametric test of the hypothesis that the mean of a population is zero given only the assumption that the mean of the population distribution exists. It would be hard even to state what mathematical facts are to be proved! The question itself might need to be refined to rule out "meaningless" hypothesis tests. )

Whether your underlying distribution is known or not, the Central Limit Theorem says that the sample average will approach a normal distribution (given some assumptions that are very easy to meet). If you can get enough sample data, you can get sample estimates of the mean and variation and use the normal distribution.

FactChecker said:
Whether your underlying distribution is known or not, the Central Limit Theorem says that the sample average will approach a normal distribution (given some assumptions that are very easy to meet). If you can get enough sample data, you can get sample estimates of the mean and variation and use the normal distribution.

This is true, but it can be very hard to get enough data in practice, even if the mean and variance of the generating distribution exist. If your data are generated by some extremely fat tailed distribution (say, a t-distribution with just over 2-df), then the sampling distribution can be very fat-tailed even for sample sizes in the thousands. Any SE's or CI's derived under a normal assumption will be quite a ways off. It's not good practice to rely on the CLT to somehow "fix" a very non-normal sample.

Number Nine said:
It's not good practice to rely on the CLT to somehow "fix" a very non-normal sample.
I don't know of any other way to estimate the mean of a completely unknown distribution. Is there a better alternative?

Stephen Tashi said:
"Single sample T-test" instead of "Single set T-test"?

You should explain whether you are dealing with a particular problem or whether you are just stringing some words together to ask a theoretical question. Since the mean of a distribution is a parameter, how can we interpret the adjective "non-parametric" in a test "for the mean". What hyypothesis would be tested?

I think non-parametric just means that the general underlying distribution of the population is not know, i.e., it is not known whether the population involved is normal, t, F, x^2, etc. Of course, the parameters are not known, if they were, there would be non need for sampling.

1. What is a non-parametric single set test of the mean?

A non-parametric single set test of the mean is a statistical test used to determine whether the mean of a single group or sample is significantly different from a specific value. It is used when the assumptions of a parametric test, such as a t-test, are not met.

2. When should a non-parametric single set test of the mean be used?

A non-parametric single set test of the mean should be used when the data does not meet the assumptions of a parametric test, such as normality or equal variances. It is also useful when the data is measured on an ordinal or non-numerical scale.

3. How is a non-parametric single set test of the mean conducted?

The most common non-parametric single set test of the mean is the Wilcoxon signed-rank test. It involves ranking the data, calculating the differences between each observation and the specified value, and summing the ranks of the positive and negative differences. The resulting test statistic is then compared to a critical value from a table or calculated using software.

4. What is the difference between a non-parametric single set test of the mean and a parametric test?

The main difference between a non-parametric single set test of the mean and a parametric test is the assumptions about the data. A parametric test assumes that the data is normally distributed and the variances are equal, while a non-parametric test does not make these assumptions. Additionally, a parametric test uses the actual data values, while a non-parametric test uses ranks or categories.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a non-parametric single set test of the mean?

The advantages of a non-parametric single set test of the mean are that it is less affected by extreme outliers and does not require the data to be normally distributed. However, it may have lower power and be less precise compared to a parametric test when the data does meet the necessary assumptions. It also may not be suitable for small sample sizes.