What statements can you apply to infinity

In summary: I was thinking of a way to explain it without using the idea of limits, but I couldn't come up with one. I'm not sure how comfortable I am with the idea of "the limit of infinity", but I suppose it makes sense in context. It's not really "the limit of infinity" so much as it is "the limit of a function as its input approaches infinity".In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and whether it can be classified as odd or even. The first speaker asks for clarification and the second speaker responds by explaining that infinity is not a number and therefore cannot be classified as odd or even. The second speaker also talks about the different types of infinities and their definitions in
TheScienceOrca
For example;

Please tell me which are false and true.

If false explain why, don't just say because so and so said so, please EXPLAIN the concept otherwise I will never learn or explain the true answer!

Can infinity odd or even? If not what state is it in? Or the fact that it is never simply a static number, it is dynamic. Whatever the highest number you can think of at the time, infinity is FOR YOU.

Infinity is relative to the observer correct?

So infinity does have a limit?

Limit of f(x)=infinity as x approaches infinity = the highest number relative to the observer

That statement is essentially true correct?

If not why?

Thank you! I am calc first year now and having some questions about limits.

2)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sorry wrong category I see now!

Infinity is neither odd, nor even. Only integers are classified as even or odd. These are the definitions: An integer n is said to be even if there's an integer m such that n=2m. An integer n is said to be odd if there's an integer m such that n=2m+1. Every integer is either even or odd, but "infinity" is not an integer.

Infinity is not relative to the observer. There's no such thing as "infinity for you". The standard way to define ##+\infty## and ##-\infty## ensures that the following statement is true: For all real numbers x, we have ##x<+\infty##.

The claim ##\lim_{x\to+\infty}f(x)=+\infty## means that for each real number M, there's a real number r such that f(x)>M for all x>r. (This means that to the right of the point r on the x axis, the graph of f stays above the line y=M).

To understand more the philosophy of the infinite read Rucker - Infinity and the mind, it will clarify a lot of misconceptions you have.

1) Infinity isn't odd nor even if you try to apply the definition of an odd and an even number it will basically fail for the infinite, adding to that the fact that the set of all odd and even numbers is ##\Bbb Z## and ##\infty\notin\Bbb Z##.

2) No, can you observe infinity?

"Infinity" doesn't refer to just one single mathematical concept. Mathematical definitions actually don't define single words. For example the statement "The limit of f(x) as x approaches A is equal to L" has a definition, and people call this "the definition of limit", but it isn't the definition of the single word "limit" or the single word "approaches". And there are other statements in mathematics that use the word "limit" and have a different definition.

There are quite a few complete statements in mathematics that use the word "infinity". If you ask a question about the single word "infinity", it is ambiguous. You aren't asking about something that has a specific mathematical meaning.

Infinity is actually a pretty deep subject. There are different types (actually different sizes) of infinity. The types 'odd' and 'even' do not fit, but the infinity of the the size of the set of all counting numbers is smaller than the infinity of the set of all real numbers. So they are infinities of different types. When you start studying infinity, there are very precise definitions. To see that there are different sizes of infinity, check out this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor's_diagonal_argument[/PLAIN]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't specifically (and arbitrarily) restrict the definitions of even and odd to apply only to finite numbers, then the infinite ordinal ##\omega\cdot2=\omega+\omega## is even. What's even more fun is that the ordinal ##\omega\cdot2+1## is both odd (obviously) and even, since, according to the rules of ordinal arithmetic, ##(\omega+1)+(\omega+1)=\omega\cdot 2+1##. Now the first infinite ordinal ##\omega## is neither odd nor even. So some ordinals are odd, some are even, some are both, and some are neither.

Cardinal numbers are comparatively less interesting. Every infinite cardinal is both even and odd according to the rules of cardinal arithmetic; ##\kappa+\kappa=\kappa+\kappa+1=\kappa## for any infinite cardinal ##\kappa##.

Of course, neither of these has anything to do with the infinity of calculus (which is really just a convenient, though misleading, notation for "arbitrarily large"). But it's interesting nonetheless.

Likes Char. Limit
gopher_p said:
If you don't specifically (and arbitrarily) restrict the definitions of even and odd to apply only to finite numbers, then the infinite ordinal ##\omega\cdot2=\omega+\omega## is even. What's even more fun is that the ordinal ##\omega\cdot2+1## is both odd (obviously) and even,

Ha! I guess that's right.

1. What is infinity?

Infinity is a concept that describes something without any limit or end. It is often symbolized by the infinity symbol (∞) and is used to represent something that is limitless or endless.

2. Is infinity a number?

No, infinity is not a number. It is a concept or idea that represents something without a limit. In mathematics, infinity is often used as a concept to represent numbers that are larger than any finite number.

3. How do you apply statements to infinity?

Statements can be applied to infinity in various ways, depending on the context. In mathematics, statements about infinity can be made using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. In philosophy, statements about infinity can be made to discuss concepts such as the infinite universe or the infinite nature of time.

4. Can infinity be divided?

No, infinity cannot be divided. Division is a mathematical operation that requires two finite numbers. Since infinity is not a number, it cannot be divided.

5. Are there different types of infinity?

Yes, there are different types of infinity. In mathematics, there are two main types of infinity: countable and uncountable. Countable infinity refers to a set of numbers that can be counted, while uncountable infinity refers to a set of numbers that cannot be counted. In philosophy, there are also different concepts of infinity, such as potential infinity and actual infinity.