Balance an unbalanced 3 phase connection of appliances?

In summary, parallel connections across phases will give the same voltage as series connections across phases, but the current will be different.
myster619
Hi there, I want to know what is the best way to connect these devices to a 3 phase power supply outlet and minimise the unbalanced load as much as possible safely? I am only worried about the single phase appliances. What type of connection would you recommend?

3x Power Supply units Single Phase 10A input
2x Fans Single Phase 2A input each
4x Variable Speed Drive Single Phase, 2 of them will take 6.7A rest two 12.5A
2x VSD 3 phase 10A - 14A

THanks.
If you have any explanations that would be greatly appreciated as well. This is not a homework.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You have single phase devices with these requirements in amps;
10, 10, 10
2, 2
6.7, 6.7, 12.5, 12.5
Total is 72.4A. Divide by three to give ideal 24.1A per phase.

Allocate loads to phases, all with neutral as common.
Try different combinations such as the following;
Ph1: 12.5, 10, 2 = 24.5A
Ph2: 12.5, 10, 2 = 24.5A
Ph3: 6.7, 6.7, 10 = 23.4A

Phases will be matched within 1.1A. Neutral current will be about 1.1A.

What should I do with the neutral connection? Does it have to be grounded?

Baluncore said:
Try different combinations such as the following;
Ph1: 12.5, 10, 2 = 24.5A
Ph2: 12.5, 10, 2 = 24.5A
Ph3: 6.7, 6.7, 10 = 23.4A

Does this mean each of those devices will be connected in series to each of the phases (across line to neutral that is)?

Neutral as common as in connect the loads in Y formation?

Last edited:
There has been a few changes

Ph1: 12.5,2.3,1.3 = 16.1A
Ph2: 12.5,2,2 = 16.5A
Ph3: 6.7,6.7,2 = 15.4A

Current in neutral = 0.96A

You seem to have got the idea.
Each phase of a three phase system is a single phase supply when considered with the common neutral.
To run single phase devices from a three phase circuit you must have a neutral or a transformer.
Except at one point on the power distribution board, the neutral is not connected to earth.

What is this point? Can you please elaborate?

He's not said yet what is his phase to phase voltage or what voltage his appliances take.

myster - are you conversant in the √3 difference in 3 phase line to line versus line to neutral voltage?

The power supply provides 415V, all the individual devices take 240V.

What I am having trouble understanding is when I connect the selected devices on the line to neutral(across each phase) in series, the current flowing through them is the same but voltage across each will be different. But I want equal voltage across the devices and different current according to the the ratings of them.

The power supply provides 415V, all the individual devices take 240V.
that's √3 difference alright.
Does that supply have four wires, one for each phase and one for neutral?
If it's just three wires you have no neutral. You need the neutral.

What I am having trouble understanding is when I connect the selected devices on the line to neutral(across each phase) in series, the current flowing through them is the same but voltage across each will be different. ...
That's a little tricky to decipher:
when I connect the selected devices on the line to neutral(across each phase)
Let's take one device at a time for starters.
Connect one end of it to any phase, other end of it to neutral and It'll see 240 volts. It'll accept current in proportion to its load.
Now connect another device but to a different phase, and neutral.
It too will see 240 volts and draw whatever current it needs.
in series, the current flowing through them is the same but voltage across each will be different.
They are NOT in series provided the neutral wire goes back to your three phase source neutral..
Series means they must have same current. These loads don't suffer that constraint, they are free to draw different amounts of current and the current difference will return through the neutral.
So they're NOT in series IF you have a neutral.
Voltage is fixed by the phase to neutral voltage of your supply, 240 volts.

Does your source provide that necessary neutral?

I think you've thought yourself up an imaginary problem . No problem, I do it all the time.

Likes NascentOxygen
Yes the source has a neutral. It is not an imaginary problem.

I was thinking of connecting the devices in parallel across each phase so they each see the same voltage and draw whatever current they require.
Here is a diagram, let me know what you think

wood_electrical.jpg

I have several devices in the same phase, hence the question about them being in series

I have several devices in the same phase, hence the question about them being in series

1, 2 and 3 are not in series with one another. Neither are 4, 5 and 6.
As you said each can draw the current it needs.
Devices in series must carry the exact same current by wiring not by chance. 1, 2, and 3 are in parallel with one another. You could replace them with one box labelled 123...
4, 5, and 6 are in parallel with one another. You could replace them with one box labelled 456...
123 is NOT in parallel with 456 for they have different voltage sources.
Devices in parallel must see same exact voltage by wiring not by chance..

123 is NOT in series with 456 because the neutral can return their differing currents .
Devices in series must carry the exact same current by wiring not by chance.

I think you've got it, though..

old jim

Okay, now we have a schematic.
From your first post:
what is the best way to connect these devices to a 3 phase power supply outlet... What type of connection would you recommend?
Physically what do you have? Just one single outlet?
You need a hand from somebody who's familiar with electrical work and codes where you are. I''d guess you are in UK?
Inquire at your local electrical supply house. They might have an industrial drop box with a cord and several outlets already assembled. We used them at work for our 480/277(US).

old jim

1. What is an unbalanced 3 phase connection?

An unbalanced 3 phase connection refers to a type of electrical connection where the three phases have unequal loads or power consumption. This can result in uneven distribution of power and can cause issues with the appliances connected to the circuit.

2. How can I tell if my 3 phase connection is unbalanced?

You can use a clamp meter to measure the current in each phase of the connection. If the readings are significantly different from each other, it is likely that the connection is unbalanced. Another way to check is to visually inspect the circuit and look for any signs of unequal power consumption, such as dimmer lights in one phase compared to the others.

3. What are the consequences of having an unbalanced 3 phase connection?

An unbalanced 3 phase connection can lead to various problems, such as overheating of appliances, circuit breakers tripping, and damage to the electrical system. It can also cause a decrease in the overall efficiency of the circuit and increase electricity bills.

4. How can I balance an unbalanced 3 phase connection?

The first step is to identify which phase has the highest load and which has the lowest. Then, redistribute the appliances connected to each phase so that the load is evenly distributed. You may also need to adjust the size of the wires and circuit breakers to match the new load requirements.

5. Can I balance a 3 phase connection on my own or do I need to hire a professional?

If you have experience and knowledge in electrical systems, you may be able to balance a 3 phase connection on your own. However, it is always recommended to hire a licensed electrician to ensure the safety and proper functioning of the circuit. Additionally, they can also help identify any underlying issues that may be causing the unbalanced connection.