Using MgSO4 for Producing H2SO4?

• Thread starter JeffEvarts
  • Start date
In summary: Mg and Ca are not alkali metals. You are one column in teh periodic table over from the alkali metals (Li, Na, K, etc.)That is true, but I just referred to them as alkalis. I believe the column group containing Ca, Mg, etc. is called the alkaline Earth metals. Or maybe that's not what they're called anymore. It has been a long time since I was in class studying.
JeffEvarts
Background: Phosphorus + Copper Sulfate:

I know that the following (unbalanced) reaction proceeds from left to right from this reference, possibly with the formation of elemental copper as well.

P4 + CuSO4 + H2O -> Cu3P + H3PO4 + H2SO4.​

This reference (which gets the stochiometry and formula slightly different) agrees.

The net-net is that Phosphorus, Water, and M1SO4 produce (very dilute) H2SO4.

Question One: Would this work with an alkali such as Magnesium or Calcium Sulfates in place of the copper sulfate?

P4 + MgSO4 + H2O -> Mg3P2 + H3PO4 + H2SO4?​

Question Two: It seems unlikely that a weaker acid could make a stronger one, but metathesis is a powerful ally. Can you really mix oxalic acid and magnesium sulfate to produce sulfuric acid and magnesium oxalate? Anyone tried it IRL?

Thanks for your thoughts,
-Jeff

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Mg and Ca are not alkali metals. You are one column in teh periodic table over from the alkali metals (Li, Na, K, etc.)

JeffEvarts said:
Question One: Would this work with an alkali such as Magnesium or Calcium Sulfates in place of the copper sulfate?

Highly unlikely. Copper phosphide is very stable and doesn't react with water, which can't be said about other phosphides.

Question Two: It seems unlikely that a weaker acid could make a stronger one, but metathesis is a powerful ally. Can you really mix oxalic acid and magnesium sulfate to produce sulfuric acid and magnesium oxalate? Anyone tried it IRL?

If you can remove weaker acid anion by precipitating it out of the solution, you can be left with a stronger acid, precipitation being the driving force of the process. It won't let you make concentrated solutions of the stronger acid, but is definitely possible.

And yet

In response to my statement:
Would this work with an alkali such as Magnesium
Steamking responded:
SteamKing said:
Mg and Ca are not alkali metals. You are one column in teh periodic table over from the alkali metals (Li, Na, K, etc.)

That is true, but I just referred to them as alkalis. I believe the column group containing Ca, Mg, etc. is called the alkaline Earth metals. Or maybe that's not what they're called anymore. It has been a long time since I was in class studying.

-Jeff

Borek said:
Highly unlikely. Copper phosphide is very stable and doesn't react with water, which can't be said about other phosphides.

If you can remove weaker acid anion by precipitating it out of the solution, you can be left with a stronger acid, precipitation being the driving force of the process. It won't let you make concentrated solutions of the stronger acid, but is definitely possible.

Q1: That's a shame
Q2: That's actually pretty cool.

Again I find myself thanking you, Borek.

-Jeff

1. What is MgSO4?

MgSO4 is the chemical formula for magnesium sulfate, a mineral compound made up of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen. It is also known as Epsom salt due to its natural occurrence in Epsom, England.

2. What are the uses of MgSO4?

Magnesium sulfate has a wide range of uses in various industries. It is commonly used in agriculture as a fertilizer, in medicine as a laxative and to treat magnesium deficiency, and in skincare products as a natural exfoliant. It is also used in industrial processes, such as the production of paper and textiles.

3. What are the benefits of using MgSO4?

MgSO4 has numerous benefits, both for the body and for various industrial processes. In medicine, it can relieve constipation and reduce inflammation. In agriculture, it enriches soil with essential nutrients for plant growth. In skincare, it can improve skin texture and reduce muscle soreness. In industrial processes, it can help with chemical reactions and improve product quality.

4. What are the risks of using MgSO4?

While magnesium sulfate is generally safe, it can cause side effects in higher doses, such as diarrhea, stomach discomfort, and low blood pressure. It should also be used with caution in individuals with kidney or heart conditions. In addition, it can be harmful to aquatic life if released into water sources.

5. Is MgSO4 a sustainable and environmentally friendly compound?

Magnesium sulfate is a naturally occurring compound that is found in mineral springs and seawater. It can also be produced through various chemical processes using readily available materials. As long as it is used responsibly and not released into water sources, it can be considered a sustainable and environmentally friendly compound.