Difficulty picturing skew lines

In summary, the point where the line connecting two skew lines is always perpendicular to both lines is the point of closest approach. This can be proven by finding the closest point on one line to a specified point and considering the cases where the other line is parallel, intersects, or is skew to the first line. The solution is unique and only one point can satisfy the conditions for the point of closest approach.
applestrudle
Is there only one point where the line connecting the two skew lines is perpendicular to them both? And is that point always always always the place of closest approach?

Thank You

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a standard proof of this written down someplace but I forget it.

You start out by finding the closest point Q on a line L1 to a specified point P.
You should notice that:
(I) Then line-segment QP is perpendicular to L1. Do you see why this must always be the case?
(II) If Q were not the closest point on L1 to P, then QP would not be perpendicular to L1.

Now consider that P is on another line L2 ...

1. If L2 is parallel to L1, then |PQ| is the distance of closest approach and PQ is perpendicular to both.

2. If L2 intersects L1, then |PQ| is not the distance of closest approach unless |PQ|=0.

3. If L2 is skew to L1 ... then we already have QP perpendicular to L1 beacuse Q is the closest point on L1 to P. But P is not the closest point to Q on L2 unless PQ is perpendicular to L2 ...
because of statement (II) above.

i.e.
For |PQ| to be the distance of closest approach for the two skew lines, P must be the closest point on L2 to Q and Q must be the closest point on L1 to P ... so PQ must be perpendicular to both lines.

Since L1 and L2 are lines there can be only one (P,Q) pair such that |PQ| is the distance of closest approach - i.e. the solution is unique.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

1. What are skew lines?

Skew lines are lines that do not intersect and are not parallel. They are also not coplanar, meaning they do not lie on the same plane.

2. How can I identify if two lines are skew?

If two lines are not parallel and do not intersect, they are skew lines. You can also determine if two lines are skew by checking if they lie on different planes.

3. Can skew lines have the same direction?

No, skew lines cannot have the same direction. They must have different directions in order to not intersect or be parallel.

4. Is it possible for two skew lines to be equidistant?

Yes, two skew lines can be equidistant if they are parallel to a common plane.

5. How do I visualize skew lines?

One way to visualize skew lines is to imagine two pencils placed on a table at different angles, with their tips touching the table. Another way is to think of two railroad tracks that do not intersect but are not parallel.