Griffiths Electrodynamics gradient of charge distribution

by Sparky_
Tags: charge, distribution, electrodynamics, gradient, griffiths
Sparky_
Apr7-13, 08:34 PM
P: 166
I do not understand the following from Griffiths’ Electrodynamics – page 424 Equation 10.21.

[tex]
\nabla p = \dot{p} \nabla {tr} = …
[/tex]

I’m not sure how much of this applies (I think my question is on the math) but p is the charge distribution, tr is the retarded time.

Is this an application of the chain rule?

With the gradient being a derivative with respect to spatial location (x,y,z), why is the time derivative showing up in the gradient? I initially want to say if something is dependent upon t but not on x, then its derivative with respect to x is zero.

The result looks like the chain rule applied – I don’t see why the time dependent portion shows up.

Can you help clear this up for me?

Thanks
Sparky_
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
HomogenousCow
Apr7-13, 08:54 PM
P: 318
continuity equation?
Sparky_
Apr7-13, 09:45 PM
I do not see it yet.

I see later on the same page

[tex]
\nabla \dot{p} = \ddot{p} \nabla {tr} = …
[/tex]

Can you explain further?

Somehow the gradient is giving an additional time derivative.

Thanks
Sparky_

MisterX
Apr8-13, 12:41 AM
P: 540

Griffiths Electrodynamics gradient of charge distribution

[itex]\rho[/itex] has arguments like this:
[itex]\rho (\vec{r}', t_r(\vec{r}, \vec{r}', t)) [/itex]

The gradient is being applied w.r.t to the coordinates of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] ( not [itex]\vec{r}'[/itex] which gets integrated away). The coordinates that we would be taking the derivative with respect to in order to obtain the gradient are only found in the parameters of [itex]t_r[/itex]. So this result is from the chain rule. Here is one component of the gradient, for example.
[itex](\nabla \rho)_x = \frac{\partial \rho (\vec{r}', t_r(x, y, z, \vec{r}', t))}{\partial x} = \dot{\rho}\frac{\partial t_r}{\partial x} [/itex]
HomogenousCow
Apr8-13, 12:44 AM
P: 318
Oh I see, did he specify that the dot derivative is with respective to retarded time?
WannabeNewton
Apr8-13, 01:21 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,939
It won't matter. ##\partial _{t_{r}} = \frac{\partial t_{r}}{\partial t}\partial _{t} = \frac{\partial }{\partial t}(t - \frac{\mathfrak{r}}{c})\partial_{t} = \partial_{t}##.

Anyways, as noted above ##\rho = \rho(r',t_{r}) ## and ##r'## is no longer a variable after integration but ##t_{r} = t_{r}(t,x,y,z,r')## so ##\nabla \rho = \partial _{t_{r}}\rho \nabla t_{r} = \partial_{t}\rho \nabla t_{r}##. Not sure what that has to do with the conservation of 4-current (continuity equation) ##\partial_{a}j^{a} = 0##.
Sparky_
Apr8-13, 09:56 AM
Thank you!!

I went back in this section of the text and reread. I see that p (charge density) is specified p(r’, tr). That is actually the point of this topic (the nonstatic case).

You confirmed that this is an application of the chain rule and p is a function of position and tr.

Thank you for the help!
Sparky_

Register to reply