Keeping uncertainty at arm's length

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of mathematics in dealing with uncertainty and how it is traditionally conducted in a classical framework. The question is raised whether it is possible to study uncertainty in the physical world using a different framework or if it must always be forced into a classical one. The author is interested in hearing dissenting opinions on this matter.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
It seems self-evident that mathematics must keep uncertainty at arms length. For example, to deal with probability mathematics establishes a set of assumptions. The assumptions themselves are not probabilistic - i.e. the "laws" of probability are assumed to be true "all the time", not randomly true or false. As another example, consider multi-valued logics. As far as I can tell when people reason about a system of "multi-valued" logic they use ordinary logie - i.e. they prove thing about it in terms of statements that are assumed to be one of "true" or "false". So the basic framework for conducting mathematics is "classical". If it wants to deal with a a type of uncertainty, it assumes there are statements about the uncertainty that are themselves certainly true.

Mathematics can (traditionally) be discussed without discussing the mathematicians who are doing it. But in physics, the physicist might acknowledge himself as a physical system. Is there any sort of paradox or inherent limitation when physicists trying to discuss uncertainty in nature? They use mathematics, so the discussion takes place as if it were implemented by a "classical" physical system.

(I suppose an abstract mathematical paradox wouldn't disturb physicists. This is more a question of whether a mathematician could get agitated about what physicists do.)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I thought this topic was too philosophical for "General Math", so it was posted to "General Discussions".

Can we study uncertainty in the physical world in any way except by using a "classical" system of mathematics - meaning the ordinary type of mathematics where logic is boolean, not "mulit-valued" and the asumptions are assumed to be true "with certainty".

For that mater, can we study multi-valued logic or various abstrations of uncertainty (probability, fuzzy sets, theories of evidence) in any way except by forcing them into a classical framework?

I'd expect the average mathematician to think "Of course not". I tend to agree. However, it would be interesting to hear dissent from someone who has more imagination that I have.

In the first post, my spelling should have been "logic" instead of "logie".

What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty refers to a lack of knowledge, information, or understanding about a particular situation or event. It is the state of being unsure or doubtful about something.

Why is it important to keep uncertainty at arm's length?

Keeping uncertainty at arm's length is important because it allows us to make well-informed decisions and take appropriate actions. Uncertainty can lead to mistakes, confusion, and inefficiency, so minimizing it can improve our overall effectiveness.

How can we reduce uncertainty?

There are several strategies for reducing uncertainty, including gathering more information, conducting experiments or studies, using statistical analysis, consulting with experts, and considering multiple perspectives.

Can uncertainty ever be completely eliminated?

No, uncertainty is an inherent part of life and cannot be completely eliminated. However, we can strive to minimize uncertainty by actively seeking out information and making informed decisions based on the available evidence.

What are some potential negative consequences of ignoring uncertainty?

Ignoring uncertainty can lead to poor decision-making, unexpected problems or failures, and missed opportunities. It can also create a false sense of security and prevent us from being prepared for potential risks or challenges.