How does one express a function of a single variable and a constant?

In summary: Hm, yeah I suppose you're right about this one. Though a comment, even here you aren't using the notation ##f(x,a)##, it's still the notation...In summary, when writing a general expression for a function of a single variable and a constant, there are various notations that can be used such as ##f_a(x)##, ##f^{(a)}(x)##, or ##f(x; a).## However, it is important to use a notation that is clear and consistent within the context in which it is being used. For functions that have a single known constant, the notation ##f(x, a)## is often used, but it is important to ensure that there is
mesa
Gold Member
How would someone go about writing a general expression for a function of a single variable and a constant? For example, if we have a function of two variables 'x' and 'y' we can use f(x,y). If we had a function of 'x' and the constant '∏' is it acceptable to write it as f(x,π)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mesa said:
How would someone go about writing a general expression for a function of a single variable and a constant? For example, if we have a function of two variables 'x' and 'y' we can use f(x,y). If we had a function of 'x' and the constant '∏' is it acceptable to write it as f(x,π)?

Why would you want to do that? By definition, a constant does not change, so it should not influence the dependent variable. Functions like ##x \rightarrow \pi x## or ##x \rightarrow \sin \pi x## are completely adequately represented as ##f(x)## (omitting the ##\pi##).

Likes 1 person
Curious3141 said:
Why would you want to do that? By definition, a constant does not change, so it should not influence the dependent variable.
Functions like ##x \rightarrow \pi x## or ##x \rightarrow \sin \pi x## are completely adequately represented as ##f(x)## (omitting the ##\pi##).

This is in reference to new functions where the constant, π for this particular example, is relevant. Proper notation is paramount otherwise there is no point.

On that note, and considering the confusion about the example f(x,∏), this particular representation does not seem appropriate, do you have an alternative suggestion?

Last edited:
There are lots of notations for a function ##f## in variable ##x## with some constant parameter ##a##, besides just plain old ##f(x, a).## Some other examples are ##f_a(x)##, ##f^{(a)}(x)##, ##f(x; a).##

Likes 1 person
olivermsun said:
There are lots of notations for a function ##f## in variable ##x## with some constant parameter ##a##, besides just plain old ##f(x, a).## Some other examples are ##f_a(x)##, ##f^{(a)}(x)##, ##f(x; a).##

Excellent, thank you olivermsun. Do any of those have a particular meaning or is,
##f(x, a)## = ##f_a(x)## = ##f^{(a)}(x)## = ##f(x; a).## for all cases?

Does anyone else have anything to add?

Last edited:
It depends on the context it's used in. Use a notation that doesn't cause confusion in your context and be consistent.

I have seen the notation f(x; c) used to indicate a function of the variable x which depends upon the parameter c. I think the word "parameter" is better here than "constant".

(You understand that the distinction between a "variable" and a "constant" that can take on different values is pretty slim!
f(x; c) is understood to mean a family of functions of x, each possible value of c giving a different function in that family.)

HallsofIvy said:
I have seen the notation f(x; c) used to indicate a function of the variable x which depends upon the parameter c. I think the word "parameter" is better here than "constant".

(You understand that the distinction between a "variable" and a "constant" that can take on different values is pretty slim!
f(x; c) is understood to mean a family of functions of x, each possible value of c giving a different function in that family.)

I have seen many examples of 'family of functions' (some even posted on PF) so this notation is good to know.

On another note, for this particular instance I am interested in notation for a function of one variable that also happens to have a single known constant (e.g. π, or e, or phi, etc.) as part of that function. If I had a function of a single variable 'x' and constant '∏' is f(x,∏) an acceptable form to describe said function?

mesa said:
On another note, for this particular instance I am interested in notation for a function of one variable that also happens to have a single known constant (e.g. π, or e, or phi, etc.) as part of that function. If I had a function of a single variable 'x' and constant '∏' is f(x,∏) an acceptable form to describe said function?
If it's just a constant like e then just don't put it.

Jorriss said:
Only if there's no chance of confusion.

For example, I think writing ##\log_e(x)## and ##\log_{10}(x)## is a good idea when either or both could be used.

Jorriss said:

I understand this sentiment, however if it were that simple I wouldn't be here. Do you think using the form f(x,some constant) is adequate?

mesa said:
I understand this sentiment, however if it were that simple I wouldn't be here. Do you think using the form f(x,some constant) is adequate?
It seems adequate. I've seen it in textbooks and published papers alike.

olivermsun said:
It seems adequate. I've seen it in textbooks and published papers alike.

Very good, thank you (again).

olivermsun said:
Only if there's no chance of confusion.

For example, I think writing ##\log_e(x)## and ##\log_{10}(x)## is a good idea when either or both could be used.
In this case you would write f(x) = lnx =log_e x. You're still not writing the e in the name of the function, f.

mesa said:
I prefer ## f_c(x) ## to indicate that the function is only a function of x.

Jorriss said:
In this case you would write f(x) = lnx =log_e x. You're still not writing the e in the name of the function, f.
You are. The ##e## appears in the subscript of the function name ##\log##. Anyway it's just one possible convention. The point is to distinguish between base ##e## and ##10## clearly.

olivermsun said:
You are. The ##e## appears in the subscript of the function name ##\log##. Anyway it's just one possible convention. The point is to distinguish between base ##e## and ##10## clearly.
Hm, yeah I suppose you're right about this one. Though a comment, even here you aren't using the notation ##f(x,a)##, it's still the notation ##f_a(x)##.

Last edited:

1. How do I write a function of a single variable and a constant?

To write a function of a single variable and a constant, you would use the mathematical notation f(x) = ax + b, where a is the constant and x is the variable. This notation is called the slope-intercept form and is commonly used to express linear functions.

2. What does the constant represent in a function?

The constant in a function represents the y-intercept, which is the point where the function intersects with the y-axis. It is the value of the function when the variable is equal to 0.

3. Can a constant be a variable in a function?

No, a constant cannot be a variable in a function. A constant is a fixed value that does not change, while a variable is a value that can take on different values. It is important to distinguish between constants and variables in a function.

4. How do I graph a function with a single variable and a constant?

To graph a function with a single variable and a constant, you would plot the y-intercept on the y-axis and then use the slope to plot additional points on the graph. The slope is determined by the coefficient of the variable in the function.

5. Can a function have more than one constant?

Yes, a function can have more than one constant. In fact, a function can have multiple constants and multiple variables. Each constant would represent a different y-intercept, and each variable would have its own coefficient or slope.