Good High School Chemistry Book?

In summary, the conversation is discussing recommended books for studying Chemistry AP, specifically topics such as quantum numbers, quantum notation, molecular geometry, hybridization, and intra-molecular geometry. Some suggestions include "Chemistry" by Raymond Chang, "Princeton Review AP Chem," "Chemistry Bible" by Silberberg, and "General Chemistry" by Linus Pauling. The conversation also mentions that some books may be more suitable for certain curriculums, such as "Chemistry" by Whitten, Davis, and other authors for IB Chem Higher Level.
Werg22
Hi, I'm in Chemistry AP and the teacher highly recommends to study in parallel with a book of our choice. Is there a book out there that covers extensively topics such as quantum numbers, quantum notation, molecular geometry in 3 dimension, hybridization, intra-molecular geometry, etc... ?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chemistry by Raymond Chang. One of the best along with Zumdahl.

princeton review AP chem will do you wonders for the actual test.

silberberg - chem bible

I see diverse opinions... need some more to make up my mind, please awnser!

SeReNiTy said:
silberberg
Seconding Silberberg! It is great stuff. It is very comprehensive and accessible. I have been using it for the past two years and still find it useful from time to time, even when I am in organic chem (I would not recommend the book for organic chem at all, though). But it covers all of the things you have mentioned in great and comprehensible detail and then some...

Last edited:
My son checked a number of books out of the local university library and settled on a book by whitten, davis (and some other authors) to go with his IB chem class.

marcusl said:
My son checked a number of books out of the local university library and settled on a book by whitten, davis (and some other authors) to go with his IB chem class.
Sorry to continue name dropping Silberberg, but at my school, we used it for the Chemistry IB Higher Level curriculum.

try General Chemistry by Linus Pauling. It is a Dover book, so it'll cost you about $20 as compared to the $100+ for a text...unless you plan to rent the thing.

Amongst the college texts my son looked at, Pauling's had the poorest overlap with the high school curriculum...

What is a good high school chemistry book?

A good high school chemistry book is one that provides clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems to help students understand and apply the concepts of chemistry. It should also cover a wide range of topics and be up-to-date with current scientific discoveries.

What makes a chemistry book suitable for high school students?

A chemistry book suitable for high school students should be written in a language that is easy to understand, with minimal technical jargon. It should also have colorful illustrations, diagrams, and real-life examples to make the content more engaging and relatable for students.

How do I choose the right chemistry book for my high school class?

When choosing a chemistry book for your high school class, consider the curriculum and learning objectives of your school. Look for books that align with these objectives and have positive reviews from teachers and students. You can also consult with other chemistry teachers or academic advisors for recommendations.

Are there any free online resources for high school chemistry?

Yes, there are several free online resources for high school chemistry, such as Khan Academy, Chem4Kids, and ScienceGeek. These websites offer videos, interactive simulations, and practice problems to supplement your learning from a textbook.

Is it necessary to buy a physical chemistry textbook or are online resources enough?

It depends on your learning style and preference. While online resources can be helpful, having a physical chemistry textbook allows you to take notes, highlight important information, and refer back to it whenever needed. It can also serve as a useful reference for future studies.