Best Small Tracking Devices for Real-Time Position Tracking

• Thread starter 75 johnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tracking
In summary, The conversation discusses the search for a small and affordable tracking device that can be used to track positions in real time. The poster is specifically looking for a device to embed in a motion-sensitive camera after having one stolen. Suggestions are made for a GPS tracker that costs $200 but may not be effective in all situations. The conversation also includes a disclaimer about the limitations of GPS and cellular service in certain areas.
75 johnson
Hi all, I am new to this forum.

My question is, what is the best and most affordable small tracking device? Some kind of small gadget that can be used to track position in real time. the reason i am asking, is because i recently had my "trail cam" stolen. (a trail cam is a motion sensitive camera used for taking photos and videos of animals(or theives)). i got thinking, there has got to be some sort of small unit that can be embedded somewhere in the camera to transmit the location of it. If location is a factor, i live in northern Alberta Canada. Obviously i have seen these kinds of devices on tv shows and am certain they really do exist.

If this post is not in an appropriate section or you don't think it would get the most views here please feel free to let me know or move it for me.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi, and welcome to PF.
What you desire is certainly possible, but is it cost effective for your application?(That's what I would ask myself)

Here's a GPS tracker that costs $200, and transmits GPS location in real time and can have good battery life depending on refresh rate.

[URL]https://static.garmincdn.com/en/products/010-00887-00/g/cf-md.jpg[/URL]
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=387&pID=67686

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies. That Garmin one looks interesting, although i wonder how much the yearly plan is. didnt say on the website.

GPS won't work inside buildings or under tree cover, so unless your stolen camera is left outside, it won't help at all. And that Garmin one works via GSM, so if your camera is in the middle of nowhere where there is no cellular service, it's also useless.

What is a small tracking device for real-time position tracking?

A small tracking device for real-time position tracking is a compact electronic device that uses GPS technology to accurately track and monitor the location of an object or person in real-time. It can be attached to an item or person, and the location data can be accessed remotely through a computer or mobile device.

What are the benefits of using a small tracking device for real-time position tracking?

The benefits of using a small tracking device for real-time position tracking include increased security and safety, improved efficiency and productivity, and the ability to monitor and manage assets or individuals remotely. It can also provide valuable data for analysis and decision-making.

How does a small tracking device for real-time position tracking work?

A small tracking device for real-time position tracking uses a combination of GPS technology, cellular networks, and software to determine and transmit the location of the device. The device receives signals from GPS satellites to determine its location and then transmits that data through cellular networks to a central server, which can be accessed by the user.

What features should I look for in a small tracking device for real-time position tracking?

When choosing a small tracking device for real-time position tracking, it is important to consider the accuracy and reliability of the GPS technology, the battery life and power management capabilities, the size and durability of the device, and the user-friendly interface for accessing location data.

What are some common uses for small tracking devices for real-time position tracking?

Small tracking devices for real-time position tracking have a variety of applications, including tracking vehicles, monitoring the location of children or elderly family members, managing inventory or assets, and tracking the movements of employees or fleet vehicles. They can also be used for personal safety during outdoor activities such as hiking or camping.