Continuity in Half Interval Topology for x^2 Function

• Thread starter Slats18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, the function f: R -> R, x -> x^2 is continuous when the Half interval topology or Lower Limit topology is used.
Slats18
Is the function f: R -> R, x -> x^2 continuous when the domain and codomain are given the Half interval topology? (Or Lower Limit topology).

I'm not sure where to go with this. On inspection, I know that the intervals are open sets, so preservance of open sets in preimages are defined for x > 0. But what if there is a set [x^2,x^2+r) that is in the negative part of the real line, there is no pre-image for this set. Is there something I'm missing, or just not realizing (most likely the second one)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Slats18 said:
But what if there is a set [x^2,x^2+r) that is in the negative part of the real line, there is no pre-image for this set.
Every set has a pre-image.

Is there something I'm missing
You don't seem to have missed any elements of the pre-image...

preservance of open sets in preimages are defined for x > 0
Proof?

It was only by inspection, assuming that any sets in the negative real line for this particular function don't have pre-images in the real line. If that assumption is wrong, then I've got nothing to go on to prove it's not continuous, so it must be, but that's a very weak justification.

Hi Slats18 :smile:

Can you tell me what [tex]f^{-1}([x,x+r[)[/tex] is?

Sorry for the really late reply, been busy with other topological concerns, namely product topologies haha.

I'm completely blanking on this at the moment, no matter how interesting topology is, it just doesn't stick. Would it be [sqrt(x),sqrt(x) + r) ?

Not exactly. You'll need to figure out what f-1(x) and f-1(x+r) are (there are multiple values). Then you need to figure out what happens to the points between x and x+r...

On further, concentrated inspection, given [x,x+r) the pre-image of this is
( -(sqrt(x+r)),-(sqrt(x)) ]U[ sqrt(x),sqrt(x+r) )
which isn't open as -sqrt(x) is an element of the pre-image, but there is no r > 0 such that [-sqrt(x),r) is an element of the pre-image as well.

Looks right to me!

Could it be also said, not neccessarily proven, that because the mapping is from R to R, the pre-image is not defined for certain R and hence, not continuous?
Ex: Take the interval [-1,0). The preimage of this is obviously in the complex plane, hence not in R.

Slats18 said:
Could it be also said, not neccessarily proven, that because the mapping is from R to R, the pre-image is not defined for certain R and hence, not continuous?
Ex: Take the interval [-1,0). The preimage of this is obviously in the complex plane, hence not in R.

The pre-image is always defined. The pre-image of the set you mention is empty:

[tex]f^{-1}([-1,0[)=\emptyset[/tex]

Ohh, duh, of course haha. My mistake, I'm doing topology and complex analysis so sometimes the two subjects mix haha.

1. What is continuity in topology?

Continuity in topology refers to the idea that a function between two topological spaces preserves the structure of the spaces. In other words, small changes in the input of the function result in small changes in the output.

2. How is continuity defined mathematically?

In topology, a function is considered continuous if the inverse image of every open set in the output space is an open set in the input space. This means that the function does not "break" the topology of the spaces it is mapping between.

3. What is the importance of continuity in topology?

Continuity is a fundamental concept in topology because it allows us to study the properties and relationships between topological spaces. It also allows us to define and study more complex concepts such as convergence, compactness, and connectedness.

4. What are some examples of continuous and non-continuous functions in topology?

An example of a continuous function in topology would be a function that maps a circle to a line segment, as the two spaces have similar topological structures. An example of a non-continuous function would be a function that maps a line segment to a point, as this would "break" the topology of the spaces.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

In general, continuity and differentiability are two separate concepts. However, in topology, continuity is a necessary condition for differentiability. This means that for a function to be differentiable, it must also be continuous.