Is this electricity science or a HOAX?

In summary, the video appears to be a clever spoof of people who believe in free energy devices. The device in the video is not a real one, and it appears to work only informally on Tesla's scalar energy deflection principle.
Naty1
A friend sent me this 2.5 minute video and asked if I can explain it. It's not even a complete circuit but the light illuminates!
I'm sure this is a hoax, but can anyone explain how it is faked??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Google keywords and you'll see a long list of speculations about the video. I'm not going to answer, because one would have to answer something for everything that appears on youTube: If everyone stuck leads into blocks of wood, cucumbers, Aunt Emma's toenail polish, tubes of shoegoo it would go on forever.

It's BS. I guarantee it.

I love this video. I think it's hysterically funny. Whoever made it did a great job of lampooning all the free energy type claims.

At first glance I would think there is something inside the candle that is metal and conducts down to the bottom of the candle. Then there is something like a very small nail or needle coming up through the table top. The candles are placed on top of this. The power source is underneath the table. The person in the video has a switch that is operated that is out of sight. Notice that the candles are not picked up and carried about when the light is lit. I guess I don't think it is that difficult to figure out. I know it cannot work the way it is presented, so, the only other possibility is...

It works, informally speaking, on Tesla's scalar energy deflection principle. Lighting both candles focusses the EM transmissions around the world through the wick by means of the dielectric free momentum effect, formalized by Dr. Igor Sneezankoff, and...

Averagesupernova said:
At first glance I would think there is something inside the candle that is metal and conducts down to the bottom of the candle. Then there is something like a very small nail or needle coming up through the table top. The candles are placed on top of this.figure out. I know it cannot work the way it is presented, so, the only other possibility is...

That was my idea when I saw the video for the first time years ago, but on the second thought - you don't need to make a hole in the table. Note that candles are put in such a way they can easily hide wire that goes on the table surface to the battery below the table. And video quality is such that you don't even need any tricks to put the wire through the candle, thin white wire going under the candle and in front of it to connect to nail will be invisible. When he connects the bulb one of the wires is barely visible even without masking.

Averagesupernova said:
At first glance I would think there is something inside the candle that is metal and conducts down to the bottom of the candle. Then there is something like a very small nail or needle coming up through the table top. The candles are placed on top of this. The power source is underneath the table. The person in the video has a switch that is operated that is out of sight. Notice that the candles are not picked up and carried about when the light is lit. I guess I don't think it is that difficult to figure out. I know it cannot work the way it is presented, so, the only other possibility is...

Notice that in the last shot, when the candles are lit, the leads go out of the frame on the left and right. He could simply have tapped into them where they are not visible. Switch and power source would be as you described. There's no need for the power to be routed through the candles.

danR said:
It works, informally speaking, on Tesla's scalar energy deflection principle. Lighting both candles focusses the EM transmissions around the world through the wick by means of the dielectric free momentum effect, formalized by Dr. Igor Sneezankoff, and...
Yeah, as long as you say "Tesla" in there somewhere, the explanation is completely persuasive.

zoobyshoe said:
Notice that in the last shot, when the candles are lit, the leads go out of the frame on the left and right. He could simply have tapped into them where they are not visible. Switch and power source would be as you described. There's no need for the power to be routed through the candles.

Near the end - at 3:45 or close - he arranges the wires on the table, and the motor is running all the time, so this can be ruled out.

For me the most important thing was always the way he puts his hand under the table each time current has to be switched on or off.

Borek said:
Near the end - at 3:45 or close - he arranges the wires on the table, and the motor is running all the time, so this can be ruled out.
Ah! You're right! I stopped watching after the lamp lit and didn't realize how much video was left.

That being the case, I think your explanation covers it best.

For me the most important thing was always the way he puts his hand under the table each time current has to be switched on or off.
True. Had I made this I would probably have elected to use a foot switch to avoid tipping people off with the hand under the table requirement.

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, as long as you say "Tesla" in there somewhere, the explanation is completely persuasive.

But if I left out 'Tesla' nobody would believe me. You can argue with Sneezankoff, but you can't argue with Tesla.

Nor can you argue with Tesla worshipping fools.

There is a cut in the video for the close up of the magnet running the wire. That is where they can put wires behind the candles to attach to a real power source. After that, the candles never move again, so the wires can be behind or through the board.

danR said:
But if I left out 'Tesla' nobody would believe me. You can argue with Sneezankoff, but you can't argue with Tesla.
That's what I'm saying! You can't argue with Tesla. What's to argue? The man comes out of every wall socket in the world.

Algr said:
There is a cut in the video for the close up of the magnet running the wire. That is where they can put wires behind the candles to attach to a real power source. After that, the candles never move again, so the wires can be behind or through the board.
Yes, I think this is the way it was done.

it's amazing really

As someone else pointed out, his hand goes under the table every time he switches something on. Coincidence? :P

sciboudy said:
it's amazing really

Unless the video is parody, it's excruciatingly boring. It doesn't rise to the level of 'hoax.'

How many videos could people make of sticking electrodes into cabbages, their ears, empty air, pee; or upload even CGI animations, or even cartoons ('hey, how come when the mice blow up the cat, the cat is still alive in the next scene?!?, weird huh?, any explanations?) and ask people to explain the 'trick' before absolutely everyone would get tired of it?

For me, a good hoax consists of including the amazing Randi and 3-4 scientists in the scene, and have them scratching their heads.

What I see in that video isn't worth the time clicking on the link. I feel I've been cheated out of a minute of my time.

sciboudy said:
it's amazing really

I've seen panda bears do more amazing things than that .

Nick666 said:
I've seen panda bears do more amazing things than that .

:tongue:
that's U point of view " NIck "

Yeah look at this . :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see what the big deal is. Candles are typically manufactured to contain a core of miniature magical gnomes that travel through wires to meet other miniature magical gnomes to do battle to be the supreme gnome champion. On the way, they knock some electrons around and create a potential.

Pengwuino said:
I don't see what the big deal is. Candles are typically manufactured to contain a core of miniature magical gnomes that travel through wires to meet other miniature magical gnomes to do battle to be the supreme gnome champion. On the way, they knock some electrons around and create a potential.

Well oh yeahhhh!?

My Telsa scalar-energy field focus theory can beat up your stupid gnome theory any day.:mad:

1. Is electricity really a scientific phenomenon or just a hoax?

Electricity is a fundamental scientific concept that has been extensively studied and proven by scientists over many years. It is a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrons and has been harnessed for various practical purposes, such as powering homes and electronics.

2. How can I tell if something claiming to use electricity is a hoax?

The best way to determine if a claim about electricity is a hoax is to research and verify the information from reliable sources, such as scientific journals and reputable websites. Additionally, if the claim seems too good to be true or lacks evidence, it is likely a hoax.

3. Are there any legitimate scientific studies about electricity?

Yes, there have been countless scientific studies and experiments conducted on electricity, dating back to the 18th century. Scientists continue to study and discover new aspects of electricity, such as its relationship with magnetism and its use in renewable energy sources.

4. Can electricity be explained through other means besides science?

No, electricity is a natural phenomenon that can only be understood and explained through scientific principles and theories. While some may try to explain it through pseudoscientific or supernatural means, these claims have not been supported by evidence.

5. Is there any proof that electricity is real?

Yes, there is ample proof of the existence of electricity through scientific experiments, observations, and practical applications. Without electricity, many modern technologies and advancements would not be possible.