Will Dishwasher Liquid Affect Blood Samples?

In summary, the conversation discusses a concern about whether dishwasher liquid on the skin can contaminate blood samples taken with a syringe. The expert summarizes that while there may be miniscule traces of soap on the skin, it would not affect the blood test results due to the use of alcohol wipes to clean the puncture site. The expert also mentions anecdotal evidence from a personal experience and states that the conversation also touches on the topic of bacteria in blood samples and the possibility of skin contaminants.
q_for_a123
Hii..i have a question maybe it seems a stupid question but I should know answer. We use syringe to take a blood samples and transfer liquids out of the body. I’m talking about take a blood samples with syringe.. Anyway The needle is used to pierce the top layer of the skin, and we can take a blood from the bloodstream. So the needle (sharp point of the end) must contact with skin and after this it can come in body and take blood from bloodstream……. if someone wash his skin with dishwasher liquid but doesn’t wash his skin carefully and some dishwasher was(remain) on the skin ,so needle first contact skin with some dishwasher liquid on it ,and after this needle come in blood stream and take a blood sample..so my question.. can dishwasher liquid on skin come in blood sample (syringe ) by needle??i mean needle contacted with skin with dish washer liquid and pick up some dishwasher on it sharp point (on the contact area with needle and skin for pierce the skin) so some dishwasher come in blood sample by needle?(of course skin contacted withsome alcohol(not much) so its possible that dishwasher liquid mixed with alcohol!)..please help me to know..sorry my English isn’t good hope I could say my mean... Thanks a lot
i mean dishwasher liquid get in syringe (blood samples) not my bloodstream..and this bloodsamples was for lab so i want to know if some dishwasher liquid get in blood sample can it cause wrong result or no(for antibody test and another tests)

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org

People almost always have soap, perfume, skin lotion, tanning lotion, etc... on their skin. That is one of the reasons why the area is swabbed clean with alcohol wipes. I would have to say no, any miniscule trace would not be an issue.

Anecdote: when my daughter was a baby, she became suddenly very sick. The doc had some blood samples taken, and it showed bacteria in the blood -- potentially very dangerous. The doc said the type of bacteria was common on skin and probably found its way to the sample by the needle. But she was treated right away, just to be on the safe side.

lisab said:
Anecdote: when my daughter was a baby, she became suddenly very sick. The doc had some blood samples taken, and it showed bacteria in the blood -- potentially very dangerous. The doc said the type of bacteria was common on skin and probably found its way to the sample by the needle. But she was treated right away, just to be on the safe side.
Bacteria would be much different.

lisab said:

thanks for answers.you made me worry.so u want to say yes ,dishwasher liquid can come in blood sample ,but i would say if the nurse cleaned the puncture site swabbed with alcohol beforehand ,so i think bacteria on the top layer of the skin will destroy..so the contact area between needle and skin is clean and without any bacteria..and in other hand the amount of bacteria that contact with very small area of end of needle is very tiny and how could it show in blood test?and in this issue some dishwasher liquid mixed with water and finally mixed with some alcohol so its possible alcohol could destroy the dishwasher but it request to know chemistry, i don't know about medicine and biology I'm a student and my english isn't good .anway i tried to tell my mean hope u understand .i don't know but i imagine very tiny amount of dishwasher liquid could came in blood sample so can it cause wrong result for blood test!??i got stupid for this question because i couldn't find trusty and specific answer and I'm so tired for analyse this issue over and over and all the times because i should find answer..please help me friendss..thankss alottttt

q_for_a123 said:
thanks for answers.you made me worry.so u want to say yes ,dishwasher liquid can come in blood sample ,but i would say if the nurse cleaned the puncture site swabbed with alcohol beforehand ,so i think bacteria on the top layer of the skin will destroy..so the contact area between needle and skin is clean and without any bacteria..and in other hand the amount of bacteria that contact with very small area of end of needle is very tiny and how could it show in blood test?and in this issue some dishwasher liquid mixed with water and finally mixed with some alcohol so its possible alcohol could destroy the dishwasher but it request to know chemistry, i don't know about medicine and biology I'm a student and my english isn't good .anway i tried to tell my mean hope u understand .i don't know but i imagine very tiny amount of dishwasher liquid could came in blood sample so can it cause wrong result for blood test!??i got stupid for this question because i couldn't find trusty and specific answer and I'm so tired for analyse this issue over and over and all the times because i should find answer..please help me friendss..thankss alottttt

Many times phlebotomists or other healthcare workers do not allow adequate time for topical disinfectants to work before taking a blood draw. Lots of blood sample bottles grow skin contaminants. When I was working in clinical micro I'd say that probably ~75% of the time a blood bottle grew organisms it was simply skin contaminants and not a pathogenic bacteria in the blood stream.

On the topic of dish soap, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think that the minute amounts of dish soap that could be left on the skin after washing would affect any blood tests done.

some dishwasher liquid in blood sample

bobze said:
Many times phlebotomists or other healthcare workers do not allow adequate time for topical disinfectants to work before taking a blood draw. Lots of blood sample bottles grow skin contaminants. When I was working in clinical micro I'd say that probably ~75% of the time a blood bottle grew organisms it was simply skin contaminants and not a pathogenic bacteria in the blood stream.

On the topic of dish soap, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think that the minute amounts of dish soap that could be left on the skin after washing would affect any blood tests done.
Thank you for answering me. You've put my mind at rest, sorry to take more of your time again, if you don't mind please answer me again! It's almost impossible to test that blood again however the result for antibodies for that blood were negative and amount of red blood cells and white blood cells etc were normal so if we imagine that some dishwasher liquid was in blood sample can it affect that result in this manner? I don't know but dishwasher liquid is a chemical contaminant (and it mixed with alcohol) so do u think it can affect on tests? Do I need to take test again?

Last edited by a moderator:

What piques my curiosity is how anyone knows that it's dishwasher liquid that's the contaminant. I seriously doubt there's any routine test you could do on the sample that would rule in dishwasher liquid and rule out any other contaminant. So what makes you so sure?

There's more going on here. What actually happened? What results did you get back?

DaveC426913 said:
What piques my curiosity is how anyone knows that it's dishwasher liquid that's the contaminant. I seriously doubt there's any routine test you could do on the sample that would rule in dishwasher liquid and rule out any other contaminant. So what makes you so sure?

There's more going on here. What actually happened? What results did you get back?
okay,i just ask this question because my friend took a test for all diseases and check up himself ..anyway the results for all diseases came back negative..(antibodies test for several diseases)..but he told me that he can't trust this test because about 5 minute before the puncture site were swabbed with alcohol beforehand he washed the puncture site on his hand by dishwasher liquid but he didn't wash and remove this liquid carefully and he is sure that its possible some dishwasher remained on his hand(skin above the vein) ..so after it the puncture site swabbed with some alcohol..actually he told me on the before put some alcohol on skin ,the skin above the vein was a little wet because of wash by dishwasher and at that moment that site swabbed with some alcohol so some water with some dishwasher and alcohol mixed!and he is so worry that it could cause wrong results!he think its possible that some of dishwasher went in syringe and blood sample by needle(the sharp point end of the needle),this is all the story..but i don't know if we imagine that the tiny amount of dishwasher were on the blood sample can it cause wrong test or any affect on antibodies in blood or no?

OK, no.

If the lab couldn't get back valid results, or felt it was contaminated, they would request a do-over. Your friend should not try to second-guess the lab techs doing their job correctly. He should not worry.

1. Will using dishwasher liquid affect the accuracy of blood test results?

Yes, using dishwasher liquid can potentially affect the accuracy of blood test results. Dishwasher liquid contains chemicals that can interact with the components of blood, leading to altered test results. It is important to use proper cleaning agents recommended by the laboratory to ensure accurate results.

2. Can dishwasher liquid cause contamination of blood samples?

Yes, dishwasher liquid can cause contamination of blood samples. The chemicals in dishwasher liquid can contaminate the blood sample and potentially interfere with the analysis of the sample. It is crucial to use clean and sterile equipment when handling blood samples to avoid contamination.

3. How can I properly clean blood collection tubes without using dishwasher liquid?

There are specific cleaning agents recommended by laboratories for cleaning blood collection tubes. These agents are designed to effectively remove any residue or contaminants from the tubes without affecting the integrity of the blood sample. Follow the instructions provided by the laboratory for proper cleaning techniques.

4. Is it safe to use dishwasher liquid to clean blood collection equipment?

No, it is not safe to use dishwasher liquid to clean blood collection equipment. Dishwasher liquid contains chemicals that can be harmful if they come into contact with the skin or are ingested. It is important to use proper cleaning agents and to follow safety protocols when handling blood collection equipment.

5. What are the potential risks of using dishwasher liquid on blood samples?

The potential risks of using dishwasher liquid on blood samples include inaccurate test results, contamination of the sample, and potential harm to the person handling the sample. It is crucial to use proper cleaning agents recommended by the laboratory to avoid these risks and ensure accurate and safe testing procedures.