Solving Linear Circuit Problems: A Guide to Using Complex Currents and Charges"

In summary, the method for solving linear circuit problems using complex currents involves solving 1st and 2nd order differential equations through algebraic means. Initial conditions for current and charge do not need to be applied at t=0, but rather come in when comparing the general solution with the specific solution obtained through the analysis. Boundary conditions are implicitly applied by specifying the initial phase direction and using it to determine potential gain or drop.
aaaa202
In solving linear circuit problems using complex currents, charges etc. I have stumbled upon something I never really understand. You are basically solving 1st and 2nd order differential equations by algebraic means, right? Well at what point do you apply initial conditions to your current and charge, Q(0), dQ/dt (0)?
I might have missed out on an essential points, because it actually seems that you never apply boundary conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could discover where the boundary conditions come in (and they don't have to be at t=0) by solving the same DEs the usual way :)

What you are doing is exploiting that you know the solutions to the DEs with the appropriate boundary conditions already because you know the relationship between PD and dQ/dt.

uhh. what is PD? :(

Let me just clarify exactly the method I have learned and you can point at which step I use boundary conditions:

1) Say we have an RCL with I(0)=0, Q(0)=a driven by a time varying potential U(t) = εcos(ωt)

2) We write (where I is now complex I = I0exp(-iωt) and β is a phase)
εexp(-iωt) = RI0exp(-iωt) - iωLβI0exp(-iωt) - 1/(-iωC) I0exp(-iωt)

3) You can cancel out the exponential function and find the phase which can be found entirely in terms of the physical quantities L,C,R. The same goes for I0, the amplitude of the current.

4) You can now put it all together and take the real part of the current. It will be a sinusoidal function with determined amplitude and phase - which is one specific solution and is not a general solution.

WHERE did I apply the boundary conditions?

PD=potential difference.
WHERE did I apply the boundary conditions?
... write out the general solution (from the DE) for the kind of quantity you have to solve when you do linear circuit analysis, then compare with the result you get when you use that analysis, and you'll be able to see what the boundary conditions were.

You did explicitly assume I(0)=0 and Q(0)=a (Q(0) where?).
When you draw the voltage source in the diagram, you specify a phase direction. When you draw the PD arrows on the diagram - you use that phase direction to decide if the potential is gained or dropped. Those contribute to the boundary conditions. Since the current will be sinusoidal, it actually doesn't matter what the initial phase is - so we have picked one that makes the math easy.

You'll see it clearly when you do the calculus.

I can assure you that solving linear circuit problems using complex currents and charges is a valid and effective approach. However, I understand your confusion about applying initial conditions in this process.

Firstly, let me clarify that solving 1st and 2nd order differential equations by algebraic means is a fundamental technique in solving linear circuit problems. This allows us to simplify the equations and solve for the unknown variables.

Now, to address your question about initial conditions, it is important to note that in linear circuits, the initial conditions for current and charge are typically assumed to be zero. This is because linear circuits are often analyzed in a steady-state condition, where the circuit has reached a stable and unchanging state.

However, there are cases where initial conditions may need to be considered, such as when analyzing transients in a circuit or when the circuit is not in steady-state. In these cases, the initial conditions can be applied to the equations and solved for in the same way as any other variable.

In summary, initial conditions may not always be explicitly stated in linear circuit problems, but they can still be applied and solved for if needed. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of solving linear circuit problems using complex currents and charges.

1. What is a linear circuit?

A linear circuit is an electrical circuit composed of linear components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It follows Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and the principle of superposition, which means that the voltages and currents in the circuit are directly proportional to the applied voltage or current.

2. Why is solving linear circuit problems important?

Solving linear circuit problems is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of electrical circuits. By solving these problems, we can determine the voltage, current, and power in different parts of the circuit, which is crucial in designing and troubleshooting electronic systems.

3. What are complex currents and charges?

Complex currents and charges are mathematical representations of the alternating current (AC) in a circuit. They are composed of two parts: a real part that represents the resistive component of the current or charge, and an imaginary part that represents the reactive component of the current or charge. Complex currents and charges are used in solving linear circuit problems involving AC circuits.

4. How do I use complex currents and charges to solve linear circuit problems?

To use complex currents and charges in solving linear circuit problems, you need to convert the circuit into its phasor form. This involves converting all the components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, into their corresponding impedance values. Then, you can use basic circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's Laws and Ohm's Law, to solve for the complex currents and charges.

5. Are there any tips for solving linear circuit problems using complex currents and charges?

Yes, here are some tips for solving linear circuit problems using complex currents and charges:

• Make sure to correctly convert the circuit into its phasor form.
  • Use the correct formulas and equations for calculating complex currents and charges.
  • Remember to consider the direction and magnitude of the complex currents and charges when applying Kirchhoff's Laws.
  • Practice and familiarize yourself with different types of AC circuits to improve your problem-solving skills.