Can Charge and EM Energy Change Metal Structure

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of break-in periods for audio cables and whether or not they actually improve sound quality over time. It is debated whether this effect is real or psychological, with some claiming that the metal in the wires may change due to the flow of energy. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim and the biggest influence on sound quality is likely the listener's psychology.
bachrocks
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post.

Background: I am an audio guy and seek to understand how cables contribute to the sound of my stereo.

Issue: Do audio cables such as power cords, interconnects, and speaker cables "break in" as they are used? Typically, with high-end cables, users experience a break-in period where the sound is not optimal. Then, after a certain amount of hours--let's say 100-200, for example--the sound improves. In any case, this is a debatable topic, but for the purpose of this post, let's assume that they do break-in.

Question: I would like to ask if the flow of charge and energy through wire such as cooper or silver can change the structure of the metal in any way?

Closing: I do have a chemistry background, but I am quite weak with EE matters. Actually, my EE friend attributes the break-in to the insulator, not the wire. I believe him, but as I naively thought the metal might somehow change, I would like to ask the above question.

thank you,
ron

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi Ron
welcome to PF

seriously, it sounds like you have been getting too swayed by the audiophile fringe element :wink:

there's a whole bunch of characters out there with some incredibly wild and unfounded claims to cables and connectors etc.

as far as I'm aware pretty much none of the claims have withstood the scrutiny of lab tests under controlled conditions.
Their claims are all very personally subjective

Dave

Welcome to PF;
Do audio cables such as power cords, interconnects, and speaker cables "break in" as they are used? Typically, with high-end cables, users experience a break-in period where the sound is not optimal.

Electrical components do change with time, but mostly to make them worse rather than better. It's just entropy at work.

The reported break-in effect is psychological.
http://www.audioholics.com/audio-video-cables/audio-cable-break-in-science-or-psychological
... seems to have a fair discussion. Includes the "insulator" argument.
Not sure about the conspiracy theory argument - but certainly some salesfolks like to repeat the myth.

Anyone wants to confirm the "myth" will need to provide peer-reviewed references in support.
At least a reference to randomized double-blind tests, from a reliable source.
AFAIK: no such tests have confirmed the myth.

You can do the test yourself - find someone who reports a break-in period and see if they can tell between new and used cables. First make sure they can tell when they know it's the new one.

The flow of energy through a metal can change it, depending on the amount of flow. i.e. it can warm up. Some material properties depend on temperature etc. But that's not what you are talking about. The short answer is "no" - over the reported break-in period, there are no detectable changes in the metal of the wire during normal use, and the insulating dielectric does not become attuned, oriented, or polarized, to the wire.

The biggest influence on the sound quality from new wires is the psychology of the listener.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you so much Dave and Simon for your really fast reply. I deeply appreciate you help. :thumbs:

Cheers from Bangkok, Thailand,
ron

Hello Ron,

I can say that the flow of charge and electromagnetic energy through a metal wire can indeed affect its structure. This is known as electromigration, where the movement of charged particles in a conductor can cause changes in the metal's crystal structure and lead to defects and failures in the wire.

In terms of audio cables, it is possible that the flow of charge and energy through the wire during use can contribute to the break-in period. However, it is also important to consider other factors such as the type and quality of materials used and the design of the cable itself.

It is interesting that your EE friend attributes the break-in to the insulator rather than the wire. While the insulator can also play a role in the overall performance of the cable, it is important to consider the potential effects of electromigration on the metal wire as well.

In conclusion, the flow of charge and electromagnetic energy can change the structure of metal in a wire, but it is likely not the only factor that contributes to the break-in period for audio cables. Further research and experimentation would be needed to fully understand and explain this phenomenon.

1. Can charge and EM energy change the atomic structure of metal?

Yes, both charge and electromagnetic (EM) energy can change the atomic structure of metal. This is because metals are made up of atoms that have a positive nucleus surrounded by negatively charged electrons. When charge or EM energy is applied, it can interact with the electrons and cause them to move, which can ultimately change the arrangement of the atoms in the metal.

2. What types of metals are most affected by charge and EM energy?

All metals can be affected by charge and EM energy, but the degree of impact may vary. Generally, metals with lower melting points and higher conductivity, such as copper and aluminum, are more susceptible to changes in their atomic structure when exposed to charge and EM energy.

3. Is it possible to control the changes in metal structure caused by charge and EM energy?

Yes, it is possible to control the changes in metal structure caused by charge and EM energy. This can be achieved by carefully controlling the amount and type of charge or EM energy applied to the metal, as well as the duration of exposure. In addition, using specialized techniques such as ion implantation can also help to control and manipulate the changes in metal structure.

4. Can charge and EM energy be used to improve the properties of metal?

Yes, charge and EM energy can be used to improve the properties of metal. For example, the process of annealing, which involves heating and cooling a metal in a controlled manner, can help to strengthen and increase the ductility of the metal. Similarly, the application of charge and EM energy can also result in changes in the atomic structure that can improve the overall properties of the metal.

5. Are there any potential negative effects of charge and EM energy on metal structure?

Yes, there can be potential negative effects of charge and EM energy on metal structure. If not carefully controlled, excessive charge or EM energy can lead to defects or even structural damage in the metal. In addition, the changes in atomic structure caused by charge and EM energy may also affect the electrical and thermal properties of the metal, which can have negative impacts on its functionality and performance.