Looking for free video editing software for .MOV files.

In summary, the camera only produces .MOV files. The AudioBox USB and Studio One software can edit the audio from the .SONG file so that the high quality audio can be mixed in. However, I don't think the software supports exporting the .SONG file in a common format.
yungman
My camera only produce .MOV files. I want to record some demo video that needed higher quality audio than the camera can record. I have AudioBox USB with Studio One software for recording and editing the audio. I need to find a free software that can edit the video by removing the original audio and mix in the high quality audio from the Studio One software.

Can anyone give me a safe site? there are a lot of free downloads, but I am afraid of malwares.

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi,

I have personally tried lots of sites without problems. Unfortunately only the following from those I know keep offering transparency when it comes to downloading:

1. Softpedia
  2. SourceForge

The others I have tried provide installers of their own (to make money with ads) and make it very hard to get the original download. Barriers of ads that make it easy for one to click on an undesirable place and get malware.

I know you didn't ask for editing software recommendation, but since I'm here, please allow me to reccomend: mkvmerge

It comes inside mkvtoolnix. The portable version is okay. Here are the integrity check hashes. Because .MOV supports MPEG-4 and H.264 it may be possible to use this software that doesn't re-encode. It just combines the audio with the video in an mkv container and it can be watched with the highest quality. I personally use it and really like it. :smile: In case you decide to use it, the executable is named mmg (so you can find it, because it isn't under the label mkvmerge).

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks for your help. The audio file the AudioBox USB and Studio One software produce is .SONG. Does the software support this?

I don't think so. You would need to export it with Studio One to: mp3, wav, flac, or any other common format. All you need is to make sure the export settings (if there are any settings) to be as looseless as possible. I recommend FLAC format, but if the output file is too big then WAV will do it.

I have never used Studio One, but I found a video explaining how to perform the export:

It may help.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are .MOV files?

.MOV files are a type of video format developed by Apple. They are commonly used for storing video files on Mac computers and are also compatible with many video editing software programs.

2. Is there any free video editing software that supports .MOV files?

Yes, there are several free video editing software options that support .MOV files. Some popular choices include iMovie, OpenShot, and Shotcut.

3. Are there any limitations to using free video editing software for .MOV files?

While free video editing software can be a great option for basic editing needs, they may have limitations in terms of advanced features and capabilities. Some programs may also have watermarks on the final video or limit the length of the video that can be exported.

4. Can .MOV files be converted to other video formats?

Yes, .MOV files can be converted to other video formats using video conversion software. This can be useful if you encounter compatibility issues with your chosen video editing software.

5. What should I consider when choosing a free video editing software for .MOV files?

Some factors to consider when choosing a free video editing software for .MOV files include the features and capabilities of the program, its user-friendliness, and compatibility with your computer. It can also be helpful to read reviews and try out different programs to find the best fit for your needs.