Is General Chemistry for Engineers Different from Regular General Chemistry?

• Thread starter sunny79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the "chemistry for engineers" curriculum differs in that it focuses more on physical and biological problems.
sunny79
In the chemical engineering curriculum I saw "general chemistry for engineers." How different is it from regular general chemistry which everyone else takes? We are currently using Burdge chemistry. Besides regular problems and additional exercises it does have biological and engineering problems. They are pretty intriguing. Is that the only difference?

After all the general chemistry will remain the same, right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemistry is the same, but it is not uncommon to elaborate on things that can be more important for the addressed group and to ignore those of the lesser importance. Plus, there are often methods of solving problems that are based on different simplifying assumptions and can be better suited for different situations, that's where the course "for engineers" can differ.

Borek said:
Chemistry is the same, but it is not uncommon to elaborate on things that can be more important for the addressed group and to ignore those of the lesser importance. Plus, there are often methods of solving problems that are based on different simplifying assumptions and can be better suited for different situations, that's where the course "for engineers" can differ.

So, the "for engineers" courses aren't dumbed down for us practical-minded engineers like I always thought? :smile:

It's marketing hype. All those books with titles like "... for Dummies" aren't written for actual dummies. They are often introductory texts on various topics with a catchy title so you notice them.

Contents between the typical "general chemistry" and "chemistry for engineers" will be the same for the most parts. I can see that "chemistry for engineers" type of textbooks will elaborate more on the chemical kinetics, physical states of matter, and electrochemistry. By the way, I thought the For Dummies books on science and mathematics are not good introductory texts due to missing out many essential topics...

We offer this course in our department. Typically, like it's already been stated, it's a course that covers selected topics over the normal two semesters of chemistry that are usually more oriented towards engineering disciplines in one course. However, in our school, there's a exception for chemical engineers where they must take both courses.

bacte2013 said:
By the way, I thought the For Dummies books on science and mathematics are not good introductory texts due to missing out many essential topics...

Perhaps that's why the catchier title is desired to sell these books.

^
Yeah, I agree with you. I never liked For Dummies and Demystified series...did you find anything goof about those brands? I remember picking up the Calculus and Molecular Biology ones, and they are not worth for their standard price.

Anyway, I think it is good to take the formal, two-semesters general chemistry than the one geared for the engineers. Perhaps the upper-division engineering courses, especially ones that focuses on chemical and fluid mechanics, might require the formal general chemistry.

1. What is the importance of chemistry in engineering?

Chemistry is essential to engineering because it provides the understanding of how materials interact, how chemical reactions occur, and how energy is transferred. This knowledge is crucial in designing and creating new materials and technologies used in various fields of engineering.

2. How does chemistry contribute to environmental engineering?

Chemistry plays a significant role in environmental engineering by helping to understand the chemical processes that occur in the environment, such as pollution and natural resource management. It also helps in developing strategies to prevent and remediate environmental issues.

3. What are the basic principles of chemistry for engineers?

The basic principles of chemistry for engineers include understanding atomic structure, chemical bonding, chemical reactions, and the properties of matter. These principles are essential in designing and analyzing materials for various engineering applications.

4. What are the common applications of chemistry in engineering?

Chemistry has many applications in engineering, such as in the production of fuels, pharmaceuticals, plastics, and other materials used in construction, electronics, and transportation. It also plays a crucial role in developing new technologies and processes for various industries.

5. How can engineers use chemistry to improve sustainability?

Engineers can use chemistry to develop more sustainable practices and technologies by understanding how different materials and processes impact the environment. They can also use chemistry to design and create more environmentally-friendly products and solutions, such as alternative energy sources and biodegradable materials.