Register to reply

Every Action That Has a Risk Indirectly Affects Your Lifespan?

by TheScienceOrca
Tags: action, affects, indirectly, lifespan, risk
Share this thread:
homeomorphic
Aug24-14, 06:39 PM
P: 1,302
But see, that's where they change from being a risk to being an issue. As long as there's only a RISK of injury, you haven't been hurt at all.
And that is why you have to say "expected" life span. Life span itself, not so much, if you dodge the bullets.
nsaspook
Aug24-14, 06:54 PM
P: 663
Everything has risks but at what point does doing a job or activity become such a high probability of dead while doing that activity that you would stop. 1% - 70%?

Deadly jobs: Indian 'sewer diver'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...is-drains.html
Mentallic
Aug24-14, 07:47 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,562
I disagree on the comment about this thread not being a mathematical problem. I don't think life insurance is denied for people with certain lifestyles just because their gut instinct says that it's risky. The statistics involved in death are very important.
homeomorphic
Aug24-14, 10:52 PM
P: 1,302
I disagree on the comment about this thread not being a mathematical problem. I don't think life insurance is denied for people with certain lifestyles just because their gut instinct says that it's risky. The statistics involved in death are very important.
True. I should know about that, since I've considered being an actuary. Not quite what the original post brings to mind, though.
HallsofIvy
Aug25-14, 06:38 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Quote Quote by Mentallic View Post
Quote Quote by homeomorphic View Post
True. I should know about that, since I've considered being an actuary. Not quite what the original post brings to mind, though.
Exactly- the original post was about never doing anything "risky" so he could "live forever":
Quote Quote by TheScienceOrca View Post
Hey everyone I was thinking of something just now after watching a video. Every action has a risk of death some the percentages are very low so that's why I don't just die of a heart attack tomorrow. I mean there is a chance but it's unlikely. So every time I get in a car, even if I don't die I am just increasing my likelihood of something else happening. So if I want to live forever I should do activities which create the least risk of death on a day to day basis and shouldn't that directly relate to how long I live?

Statistically it seems like it should make sense.

Register to reply