Do I Need a 4 Year Degree to Get into MIT or Harvard?

• Programs
  • Thread starter matthieulabelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Year
In summary, the individual is starting a physics program at U of Toronto next week and is debating whether to take a 4 year honors program or a 3 year program with good marks in order to get accepted into a top US university for graduate studies. They also ask about the time it takes to complete a MSc and PhD, which is approximately 5 years after completing undergrad. Some suggest taking the extra fourth year for more courses and research experience, while others mention the option of taking summer courses. However, it is recommended to prioritize research experience over summer courses.
matthieulabelle
I'll be starting my physics program next week at U of Toronto but I am debating one thing, to get accepted into a top university in the USA ( mit or harvard ) for graduate studies, would i require to take a 4 year honors program or will a 3 year program suffice with good enough marks?

As a side note, how long does it take to get a Msc and a Phd (average)

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
4 years at UFT...unless your able to cram all those requirements at UFT into 3 years(which includes summerschool)..though people would say take your time to completely understand what you are learning, doing undergrad research would probably be a plus(especially if you can obtain one fo those NSERC undergrad scholarships for the summer).

MSc(1yr-1.66yr),Phd(2.5-3)..total almost 5 years after undergrad

I'm not in Physics, myself, but I recommend taking the extra fourth year.

I don't know about Physics, but for UFT math and CS, the Grad Schools generally only have access to your marks from your *second-last* year -- so if you only take 3 years, they'll be looking at your second year marks.

If you take 4 years, you'll be able to take numerous extra courses, and spread out your workload and degree sufficiently.

how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?

matthieulabelle said:
how about summer courses? if i do a 4 year programme in 3 years that will allow me 3 summers to take courses. wouldn't it be even it out?

IT is a more wise investment to spend your summers getting research experience than it is to take classes.

1. Can I get into MIT or Harvard without a 4 year degree?

It is highly unlikely that you can get into MIT or Harvard without a 4 year degree. Both universities have rigorous admission requirements and a 4 year degree is usually a minimum requirement for consideration.

2. What if I have exceptional academic achievements but no 4 year degree?

Even if you have exceptional academic achievements, it is still very difficult to get into MIT or Harvard without a 4 year degree. These universities value a well-rounded education and a 4 year degree shows a level of commitment and dedication to academic pursuits.

3. Can I substitute a 4 year degree with work experience?

No, a 4 year degree cannot be substituted with work experience. MIT and Harvard both require a 4 year degree as a minimum requirement for admission. Work experience may be considered as a supplement to your application, but it cannot replace the need for a 4 year degree.

4. Are there any exceptions to the 4 year degree requirement?

In rare cases, there may be exceptions to the 4 year degree requirement for admission to MIT or Harvard. These exceptions are usually made for students with exceptional talent or achievements in a particular field, but they are not the norm.

5. Can I transfer from a community college to MIT or Harvard?

While it is possible to transfer from a community college to MIT or Harvard, it is not a common occurrence. These universities value a strong academic background and community college courses may not fulfill their admission requirements. It is best to contact the admissions office at MIT or Harvard to inquire about their transfer policies.