Help in interpreting a graph -

• Thread starter navneet1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation is about interpreting a graph that appears to be periodic. The person asking for help is a 12th grade student who is comfortable with trigonometry and calculus but is willing to learn Fourier transforms if it helps interpret the data effectively. Suggestions are given to look into Fourier transforms and delay-embedding, as well as analyzing the data modulo small integers. The ultimate goal is to derive an equation to predict future dates based on the current data.
navneet1990
help in interpreting a graph - URGENT

hello!

i obtained this graph after a study
could anyone please help me in interpreting it
i want to know whether it follows any definite pattern
any arithematic,geometric progression or a parabolic equation or anything??

thank you

nave

Attachments

• img001.JPG
    img001.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks periodic, so you could express it as a sum of sine and cosine functions.

how do i do that??
is there anything being formed
could you state it

do you want more data
i could forward to you my data
some more information
would that help??

Last edited:
Look up Fourier transforms.

You could do some time-delay embedding.

Looks quasiperiodic from the limited data you have.

I can upload the actual data .
The data has a periodicity of 19 years. But in between it seems disjointed. The sequence is like this :

Uh.Huh. It is beyond me!

navneet1990 said:
Uh.Huh. It is beyond me!

What? You asked for suggestions without telling us anything about what you want to do, or the level of math you're comfortable with, and we've accordingly given you suggestions.

I am 12th grade student from India. I have obtained this data for a project . I am comfortable with trignometry , Calculus etc. But I can learn Fourier transforms if it helps me interpret the data effectively. Please give your suggestions. And thanks for the follow-up.

Is that all the data you have?

What results do you want?

Graphically, look up the delay-embedding, in say, Yorke, Alligood and Yorke - Introduction to dynamical systems and chaos (I think that's the title.)

I don't think there's enough data for a spectral analysis using ffts...

I am studying the new moons dates while it transits a particular constellation from 2000-2040. I wish to know if an equation can be derived to arrive at the dates say 2100 for similar star positions using this formulae .

another graph

hope this helps

Attachments

• graph2002.JPG
    graph2002.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
I recommend looking at the data modulo small integers -- say 10 through 60. See if anything comes up. That will help you fit it to a modified sine curve, or at least show potential problems of doing so.

could you elaborate more on that

navneet1990 said:
could you elaborate more on that

Sure. For made-up data points (31, 1), (41, 10), (51, -5), (61, 1), (81, -5), (101, 10) you'll notice that when x is 1 mod 30 there's one value, when x is 11 mod 30 there's another, and when x is 21 mod 30 there's a third. Just transform your data so it's all in the form (a*n + b, y) with some fixed y in the suggested range (roughly, the expected period) and see how similar y values are across points with the same b values. If the data are periodic, there should be some choice of n that makes them line up perfectly; if they are near-periodic, then some choice of n should make them line up well (perhaps with a little bit of correlation with the a value, perhaps with just random variation).

if you use your theory in my graphwhat would be the results?

1. What is the purpose of interpreting a graph?

The purpose of interpreting a graph is to analyze and understand the data represented in visual form. It allows us to identify patterns, trends, and relationships between variables, making it easier to draw conclusions and make informed decisions.

2. How do I read a graph?

To read a graph, start by identifying the x and y-axis and their respective variables. Then, look at the data points or bars on the graph and determine their values. Pay attention to the scale and labels on the axes to accurately interpret the data. Finally, analyze the overall shape and trend of the graph to draw conclusions.

3. What types of graphs are commonly used for data interpretation?

Some common types of graphs used for data interpretation include line graphs, bar graphs, pie charts, scatter plots, and histograms. The type of graph used depends on the type of data being presented and the purpose of the interpretation.

4. What are some tips for interpreting a graph effectively?

Some tips for interpreting a graph effectively include understanding the data and its context, paying attention to the scale and labels, analyzing the trends and patterns shown, and considering any potential outliers or anomalies. It is also helpful to use additional information or research to support your interpretations.

5. How can I use the information from a graph in my research or experiments?

The information from a graph can be used in research or experiments to support your hypothesis, make predictions, or draw conclusions. It can also help to identify areas for further study or to make informed decisions based on the data presented.