Particle in Magnetic Field: Conceptual

In summary, the particle moves through a half-circle in time T0, and then leaves the field with speed v0.
mbrmbrg

Homework Statement

In Figure 28-28 (see attached), a charged particle enters a uniform magnetic field B with speed v0, moves through a half-circle in time T0, and then leaves the field.

Which statements are true? (Select all that apply.)

1. The charge is positive.
  2. The charge is negative.
  3. The final speed of the particle is greater than v0.
  4. The final speed of the particle is less than v0.
  5. The final speed of the particle is equal to v0.
  6. For an initial speed 0.5v0, T > T0.
  7. For an initial speed 0.5v0, T < T0.
  8. For an initial speed 0.5v0, T = T0.
  9. For an initial speed 0.5v0, the path is more than a half-circle.
  10. For an initial speed 0.5v0, the path is less than a half-circle.
  11. For an initial speed 0.5v0, the path is also a half-circle.

Homework Equations

[tex]F_B=qv\times B[/tex]

[tex]F_c=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fine until I'm asked to halve the velocity. I combined my two equations and found that when v'=0.5v, r'=0.5r. but I'm not sure how that affects the shape of the trajectory. Will the particle still make a semicircle, only now with a smaller radius? If so, it would make sense that the t'>t. But on the other hand, a smaller velocity should result in a longer time!
I guessed 2, 5, 7, & 11, then I tried 2, 5, 6, & 11. Both combinations are incorrect.
I'd appreciate any help in understanding how velocity affects the trajectory and time. Thanks!

Attachments

• hrw7_28-28.gif
    hrw7_28-28.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 691
Physics news on Phys.org
mbrmbrg said:
I'm fine until I'm asked to halve the velocity. I combined my two equations and found that when v'=0.5v, r'=0.5r.
Good. More generally, v/r is a constant.
but I'm not sure how that affects the shape of the trajectory. Will the particle still make a semicircle, only now with a smaller radius?
Yes. Since the magnetic force is always perpendicular to the velocity, it must take a circular path. By symmetry, the path will be a semicircle, only smaller.
If so, it would make sense that the t'>t. But on the other hand, a smaller velocity should result in a longer time!
What's your reasoning here? Figure it out! Hint: What distance does it travel? How long does it take?

Doc Al said:
Hint: What distance does it travel? How long does it take?

Cool! The particle either travels 2*pi*r with velocity v or 2*pi*0.5r with velocity 0.5v. So time is the same even though velocity changes.
Thanks, Doc!

You've got the idea. (Although a semicircle is only pi*r. :wink: )

:redface: That's me. It seems like when I get the physics, I lose the algebra; when I get the algebra, I lose the arithmetic.
Thanks!

1. What is a particle in a magnetic field?

A particle in a magnetic field refers to a charged particle (such as an electron or proton) that is subjected to the influence of a magnetic field. This means that the particle will experience a force due to its charge and the magnetic field, causing it to move in a curved path.

2. How does a magnetic field affect a particle?

A magnetic field affects a particle by exerting a force on it. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the particle's velocity. This results in the particle moving in a circular or helical path, depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors influence the motion of a particle in a magnetic field?

The motion of a particle in a magnetic field is influenced by several factors, including the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and the initial velocity of the particle. The shape and orientation of the magnetic field can also have an impact on the particle's motion.

4. How is the trajectory of a particle in a magnetic field determined?

The trajectory of a particle in a magnetic field can be determined using the Lorentz force law, which describes the relationship between the magnetic force, the charge of the particle, and its velocity. The strength and direction of the magnetic field also play a role in determining the shape and curvature of the particle's trajectory.

5. What are some real-life applications of the concept of a particle in a magnetic field?

The concept of a particle in a magnetic field has many practical applications in various fields, including medical imaging (such as MRI machines), particle accelerators, and electric motors. It is also used in research and study of the behavior of charged particles, such as in plasma physics and astronomy.