Beginner books for philosophy?

In summary, a person who has little background in philosophy might be interested in reading books on the subject, such as "Modern Philosophy" by Roger Scrutton, "The Columbia History of Western Philosophy" by Popkin, and "The History of Western Philosophy" by Bertrand Russell. While these are all good choices, one site that is especially recommended is "Galilean Library." The website has a manuscript section, which has an excellent introduction to philosophy that is only 100 pages long. Additionally, the forum contains lots of recommendations for further study depending on what area of philosophy the user is interested in.
proton
I have little background in philosophy in that I took a intro to philosophy course for about 2 weeks until I dropped it. I've always been interested in philosophy but I never got the chance to take a full class on it, and now I probably never will as I will start my upper-div math and physics courses this fall.

But I have free time from now until the school starts in fall, so I was wondering if there were any good philosophy books for those with little knowledge/backgrond in philosophy?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already haven't, one site I'd recommend you might want to take a look at is:

http://www.galilean-library.org/library.html

and especially the manuscript section where the link points to - the introduction to philophy is an "internet classic" (==excellent piece of work) doing a marvellous job in "summing up" philosophy in ~ 100 pages (sounds surreal but haven't heard anyone regret reading it) and the forums contain lots of recommendations for further study depending on what area you're particularly interested in. About general books spanning pretty much everything would recommend Roger Scrutton's "Modern Philosophy", Popkin's "The Columbia History of Western Philosophy" and then of course Bertrand Russell's classic "The History of Western Philosophy".

Read Plato's Five Dialogues. It contains some of the best introductory material to philosophy ever. If you do, I recommend you pay close attention to the arguments given in the Meno. It's a pretty crucial dialogue and covers a lot of the basic definitions given in philosophy, in particular the definition of knowledge as a "justified true belief."

There's a lot of good problems raised in these books.

You'll want a vast range of different opinions on different topics of philosophy. Nothing beats a philosophy textbook, and there is much to be said about the quality of a book that has survived to go into its ninth edition. I recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/053451250X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

AsianSensationK said:
Read Plato's Five Dialogues. It contains some of the best introductory material to philosophy ever. If you do, I recommend you pay close attention to the arguments given in the Meno. It's a pretty crucial dialogue and covers a lot of the basic definitions given in philosophy, in particular the definition of knowledge as a "justified true belief."

There's a lot of good problems raised in these books.
I don't know of any belief which isn't justified by the believer/s, so i don't think this title for knowledge is suitable at all.
obviously knowledge isn't a belief, for example you know that every morning the sun rises, but you also you know that this will not last forever, perhaps it's a belief in our calculation, but obviously mathematical knowledge isn't a matter of belief at all.

loop quantum gravity said:
I don't know of any belief which isn't justified by the believer/s, so i don't think this title for knowledge is suitable at all.
obviously knowledge isn't a belief, for example you know that every morning the sun rises, but you also you know that this will not last forever, perhaps it's a belief in our calculation, but obviously mathematical knowledge isn't a matter of belief at all.
You're right. It really isn't suitable for knowledge, and Socrates discusses this point in the dialogue.

loop quantum gravity said:

Now we argue the existence of universal truth. That aside... a great place to start, allthough it might be a bit dry, would be an intro to logic book. Critical thinking is vital to receiving full benefits from any of these other suggestions.

Wff 'n Proof, the game of logic.

1. What is the best beginner book for philosophy?

The best beginner book for philosophy is subjective and depends on the individual's interests and preferred learning style. Some popular options include "The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant, "Sophie's World" by Jostein Gaarder, and "Think: A Compelling Introduction to Philosophy" by Simon Blackburn.

2. What topics are typically covered in beginner books for philosophy?

Beginner books for philosophy typically cover topics such as the history of philosophy, major philosophical theories and concepts, critical thinking, and ethics. They may also touch on specific branches of philosophy, such as metaphysics, epistemology, and logic.

3. Are beginner books for philosophy easy to understand?

It depends on the individual's background and prior knowledge of philosophy. Some beginner books may use simpler language and examples to make the concepts easier to grasp, while others may assume some prior understanding and use more complex terminology.

4. Can beginner books for philosophy be used as textbooks?

While some beginner books for philosophy may have a more academic tone and structure, they are not typically used as textbooks. They are better suited for self-study or as supplemental reading for a philosophy course.

5. Do beginner books for philosophy offer different perspectives and theories?

Yes, most beginner books for philosophy offer a variety of perspectives and theories from different philosophers. This allows readers to explore different ideas and form their own opinions on a particular topic.