Timing control for motor using a potentiometer

In summary: And if you're going to do a lot of cycling and it's going to wear down the battery, you might want to consider using a solar panel or wind turbine to power it. In summary, you would need a digital timer chip to control the timing, an A/D converter to represent the voltage, logic gates to control when the voltage goes high or low, and a switching transistor or amplifier to turn off the power to the motor when it's done.
Timed Out
I need help buiding a circuit that would use a potentiometer to control power from a small battery (AA's, 9 volt, or similar) to a small electric motor. I would like to have the motor pulse on for @5 seconds and then go off. The 5 seconds "on" would remain constant, but I would like the pot to control the off time, variable between @ 1 minute to 3 minutes. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as this area is a little out of my scope of knowledge.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Timed Out said:
I need help buiding a circuit that would use a potentiometer to control power from a small battery (AA's, 9 volt, or similar) to a small electric motor. I would like to have the motor pulse on for @5 seconds and then go off. The 5 seconds "on" would remain constant, but I would like the pot to control the off time, variable between @ 1 minute to 3 minutes. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as this area is a little out of my scope of knowledge.

I'll try to just give a little input, I'm not an expert. And it depends on how complex of a design you want.

If you're going to do timing with a digital chip, and you're controlling the timing with your pot, then you're most likely going to need an A/D to represent the voltage as a digital number. Then you will need some logic to tell what times each voltages correspond to before you put it into a timer. This would be really easy to do in something like a pic or low cost microcontroller rather than with logic gates (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, you will have to consider what voltage you're putting across the pot. I'm not sure if you would really want to pull it off the voltage supply to the motor, since this could cause transients and loading effects possibly from the motor. Its just something to consider when you go to the actual design.

Another way would be to design a timing circuit with passive components like a simple RC circuit with its time constant, so you would have to charge and discharge for your timing. You most likely want to use buffers or opamps for this approach.

Either way you might need a switching transistor or amplifier to cut off the power supply to the DC motor.

I think the digital route would be easier and more precise, but I have little experience with simple designs. I've only controlled motors with PWM signals using an 8051 to control all the function and timing of the motor, and then a switching BJT and an H-bridge amp. So most of what you would be trying to do would be written in software in that design.

Another thing to consider is what the motor is being used for. If its going to have a variable load, you might need a control system to apply the right amount of voltage rather than going full on/off with the battery.

1. How does a 555 Timer control a motor?

A 555 Timer is a type of integrated circuit that can be used as a timer or oscillator. It can also be used in conjunction with other components to create a control circuit for a motor. By adjusting the timing and frequency of the 555 Timer, it can control the speed and direction of the motor.

2. What are the main components needed to use a 555 Timer to control a motor?

In addition to the 555 Timer, you will need a motor, a power supply, and various resistors and capacitors to create the control circuit. You may also need additional components depending on the specific motor and application.

3. Can a 555 Timer control different types of motors?

Yes, a 555 Timer can be used to control various types of motors such as DC motors, stepper motors, and servo motors. The circuit may need to be modified slightly depending on the motor type, but the basic principles remain the same.

4. How do I adjust the speed of the motor using a 555 Timer?

The speed of the motor can be adjusted by changing the frequency of the 555 Timer. This can be done by adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the control circuit. Increasing the frequency will result in a faster motor speed, while decreasing the frequency will slow it down.

5. Can a 555 Timer control the direction of the motor?

Yes, a 555 Timer can control the direction of a motor by using a circuit called an H-bridge. The H-bridge allows the 555 Timer to reverse the polarity of the motor, thereby changing its direction. This can be useful for applications where the motor needs to move back and forth.