Doomsday Scenarios: What Astronomical Process Poses Greatest Risk?

• Thread starter Breathe the o2
  • Start date
In summary, a new forum member asked for opinions on the greatest astronomical threat to humanity's extinction. The discussion narrowed down to three possibilities: a large meteor/comet impact, a nearby supernova, and a nearby gamma ray burst. However, it was mentioned that human destruction may be a more immediate concern.
Breathe the o2
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum,so please excuse my ignorance:smile:

I was reading through some of the threads in here and my mind is completely boggled!

Just wondering,in all your opinions,what astronomical process do you reckon will pose the greatest threat to man-kind in relation to extinction??I know it's a very broad topic but would love to see your opinions!

Cheers

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Breathe the o2 said:
Just wondering,in all your opinions,what astronomical process do you reckon will pose the greatest threat to man-kind in relation to extinction??

At this rate, we won't have to worry about natural processes, because we will have destroyed ourselves long before.

Most likely - large meteor/comet impact. Happens every few 100million years. Big blast, clouds of dust, long winter. Wipes out 50-90% of species. Not good.

Less likely - nearby supernova. Radiation kills pretty much everything living on surface. Ok if you are a fish.

Least likely - nearby gamma ray burst (supernova on steroids). Radiation shreds planet like a butterfly hit by a shotgun. Game over.

1. What is a "Doomsday Scenario"?

A "Doomsday Scenario" refers to a hypothetical event or scenario that could potentially lead to the end of human civilization or even the extinction of all life on Earth.

2. What is the greatest risk posed by an astronomical process?

The greatest risk posed by an astronomical process is the impact of a large asteroid or comet on Earth, which could result in catastrophic consequences.

3. How likely is it that an astronomical event will lead to a doomsday scenario?

The likelihood of an astronomical event causing a doomsday scenario is relatively low. While there have been several major impacts in Earth's history, the chances of a catastrophic event occurring in the near future are slim.

4. Are there other astronomical processes that could pose a significant risk to Earth?

Yes, there are other astronomical processes that could potentially pose a significant risk to Earth, such as a solar flare or a supernova explosion. However, these events are also unlikely to cause a doomsday scenario.

5. What can be done to mitigate the risk of a doomsday scenario from an astronomical event?

Scientists and researchers are constantly monitoring near-Earth objects and developing strategies to potentially deflect or destroy any objects that pose a threat. Additionally, emergency preparedness plans are in place to respond to the aftermath of a catastrophic event.