Understanding Upper and Lower Bounds in Analysis Solutions

• Thread starter silimay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bounds
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in an analysis problem set that involves showing that the supremum and infimum of a set are equal to the negative infimum and supremum, respectively. The speaker initially expresses confusion about the definition of least upper bound and greatest lower bound, but the solution provided in the conversation shows that -r is the least upper bound of -A by assuming the existence of some e > 0 and showing that for all e > 0, there exists some x in -A such that -x > -r - e. This also shows that -r is the smallest upper bound for -A.
silimay
I was recently looking at the solutions to a problem set I have in analysis and there was something I didn't understand. This is the problem in the problem set:

Homework Statement

Let A ⊂ R be nonempty. Define −A = {−x / x ∈ A}. Show that sup(−A) = − inf A and inf(−A) = − sup A.

So I thought the definition of a, say, least upper bound, was that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a least upper bound of E if it is an upper bound of E and if [tex]\gamma < \alpha[/tex] then [tex]\gamma[/tex] is not an upper bound of E. But in the solution, they almost seem to be using a different definition of least upper bound / greatest lower bound.

3. (part of the solution)

This is just part of the solution. I'm not really confused about the actual answer to the question, I'm just confused about how they define the least upper bound.

In the solution, in a case where they assumed A had a lower bound:

Let us define r := inf A. Then r ∈ R. Since r is a lower bound for
A,we know that x ≥ r, ∀x ∈ A. It follows that: −x ≤ −r, ∀x ∈ A.
Hence, −r is an upper bound for A. We must show that it is the least
upper bound for A. To see this, let e > 0 be given. Since r = inf A,
it follows that ∀ e > 0, ∃a ∈ A such that a < r + e. So, ∀ e > 0, ∃a ∈ A
such that −a > −r −e . Hence, since such an element of −A can be
found ∀ e > 0, it follows that −r is the least upper bound.

...What they were doing with e seems almost more like something with a limit point...So I got confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
What they are essentially doing is showing that -r is an upper bound of -A and that it is the least upper bound of -A. To do this, they assume there exists some e > 0 and then show that for all e > 0, there exists some x in A such that -x > -r - e. This shows that -r is an upper bound for -A since for every e > 0, there exists some x in -A such that -x > -r (and hence -x > -r - e). This also shows that -r is the least upper bound for -A since for every e > 0, there is some x in -A such that -x > -r - e and so -r is the smallest upper bound for -A.

1. What is the difference between upper and lower bounds?

Upper and lower bounds refer to the maximum and minimum values that a set of data or a function can take. The upper bound is the largest possible value, while the lower bound is the smallest possible value.

2. How are upper and lower bounds used in scientific research?

Upper and lower bounds are used to establish the range of possible outcomes or values for a particular variable. This helps scientists understand the limitations and potential of their data, and can also be used to make predictions and draw conclusions.

3. Can upper and lower bounds change over time?

Yes, upper and lower bounds can change over time. As new data is collected and analyzed, the upper and lower bounds may shift to reflect a more accurate understanding of the data.

4. How do you calculate upper and lower bounds?

The calculation of upper and lower bounds depends on the context and type of data. In some cases, it may be a simple range of values based on the highest and lowest data points. In other cases, more complex statistical methods may be used to determine the bounds.

5. Why are upper and lower bounds important in scientific research?

Upper and lower bounds provide a way to quantify the uncertainty and variability in data. They help researchers make more informed decisions and draw more accurate conclusions from their data. Additionally, understanding upper and lower bounds can also help identify outliers and inform future data collection and analysis methods.