Range Calculation Help: Finding the Range of a Square Root Equation

In summary, the original equation is y = sqrt(25-(x-2)^2) which represents the top half of a circle with center (2,0) and radius 5. The domain is [-3,7] and the range is [0,5]. The inverse of the equation is 2+sqrt(-x^2+25) where the domain is 0<=x<=5 and the range is >= 0. The best approach to finding the range is by sketching the equation.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

find the range of sqrt(25-(x-2)^2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the inverse
2+sqrt(-x^2+25)

then I found the domain to be [-5,5] and said that's the range of the original equation however when I graph the original equation the ys only range from [0,+5] what did I mess up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interestingly enough [tex]y=\sqrt{25-(x-2)^2}[/tex]

Is the top half of the circle:

[tex](x-2)^2+y^2=25[/tex]

For there you can easily deduce that it's center is (2,0) and it has a radius of 5. D:[-3,7] and the range is easily deducible as well.

Or you could solve this by realizing that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] belongs to all reals when x >= 0.

So just find where [tex]25-(x-2)^2=0[/tex] and that would also give you the same answer for the domain. For the range, you need to know the manipulations of the square root function.

Last edited:
y = sqrt(25-(x-2)^2)

sqrt only gives the postive root... hence y >= 0. range will be >= 0

when you take the inverse, you need to include this condition... ie the inverse is

2+sqrt(-x^2+25)... where x must be >= 0, on top of the other condition that you find -5<=x<=5

so x>=0 AND -5<=x<=5, means the domain of this function is 0<=x<=5.

Another way to see it is:

2+sqrt(-x^2+25)

is not a one-to-one function. because a value of x and its negative give the same result. But an invertibe needs to be one-to-one.

However,

2+sqrt(-x^2+25) where x>=0 is one-to-one

But I'm not sure this is the best approach to find the range... you may have non-invertible functions whose range you need to calculate... so in these cases you won't be able to take the inverse.

I think a sketch is the best approach.

Feldoh said:
Interestingly enough [tex]y=\sqrt{25-(x-2)^2}[/tex]

Is the top half of the circle:

[tex](x-2)^2+y^2=25[/tex]

For there you can easily deduce that it's center is (2,0) and it has a radius of 5. D:[-3,7]

:redface: I didn't notice that it was a circle. So the sketch is straightforward.

alright thanks i get it

1. What is range calculation?

Range calculation is the process of determining the distance between two points on a graph or in a set of data. It is commonly used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics.

2. How is range calculated?

The range is calculated by subtracting the smallest value from the largest value in a set of data. For example, if you have a set of numbers {2, 5, 8, 12}, the range would be 12 - 2 = 10.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the range?

Calculating the range helps to determine the spread or variability of a set of data. It provides a measure of how far apart the data points are from each other.

4. Can range be negative?

Yes, range can be negative if the smallest value in the set is larger than the largest value. This usually occurs when dealing with data that has a negative correlation.

5. Is range the same as standard deviation?

No, range and standard deviation are two different measures of variability. While range is calculated by finding the difference between the largest and smallest values, standard deviation takes into account the average distance of all data points from the mean.