Torque - Finding the unknown weight

In summary, torque is used to determine the weight of an object. In this scenario, a 10.0 m long pole weighing 20.0 N has its center of gravity 2.00 m from one end. An object of unknown weight is hung at the end opposite the center of gravity. With the object hanging at this end, the pole now balances 2.00 m from the unknown weight. Using the equation T = F * R, the weight of the unknown object is calculated to be 60.0 N.
ll Source ll

Homework Statement

Torque is used to determine the weight of an object. A 10.0 m long pole weighing 20.0 N has its center of gravity 2.00 m from one end. An object of unknown weight is hung at the end opposite the center of gravity. With the object hanging at this end, the pole now balances 2.00 m from the unknown weight. What is the weight of the unknown weight? Ans:60.0

Homework Equations

T = F * R

The Attempt at a Solution

T = 20 * 2
= 40 ?

:(

Physics news on Phys.org
oh please anyone? my exams tommorow? I am sorry for being so naggy? any help AT ALL will be great. anything. I've been staring at this screen refreshing every 5 seconds.

PLeASE IM BeGGING YoUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Ok let me have a crack at it.I assume that unknown object is at the other end of stick (not the center of gravity end). So

Tcw = Tccw
2*X = 6*20
X=60 N

Thank you so much. So, SO much. I love you. In a non-gay way. <3

1. What is torque and how is it related to weight?

Torque is a measurement of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis, and it is directly related to weight. The greater an object's weight, the more torque is required to rotate it.

2. How do you calculate torque?

To calculate torque, you need to multiply the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What are the units of torque and weight?

The units of torque are usually represented as newton-meters (N*m) or foot-pounds (ft-lb), while weight is typically measured in newtons (N) or pounds (lb). However, both torque and weight can be converted into different units based on the specific measurements used.

4. How can torque be used to find the unknown weight of an object?

To find the unknown weight of an object, you can use a known weight and distance to calculate torque, and then use that torque value to solve for the unknown weight using the formula T = F x d. This method is commonly used in physics and engineering experiments.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect torque and weight measurements?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect torque and weight measurements, such as friction, the shape and size of the object, and the accuracy of the measuring equipment. These factors should be taken into consideration when conducting experiments or making calculations involving torque and weight.