Deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun

In summary, the conversation is about a relation discovered by Einstein that calculates the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun. The value obtained through this relation is 1.74 arc seconds, but when the person tried to replicate it, they did not get the same value. They later realized that the answer needed to be multiplied by 206264 to convert it into arc seconds. The person is also seeking help in understanding how this relation was derived and recommends a book and some online resources for further explanation.
spidey
I saw in a website that Einstein found the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun through this relation
alpha=4GM/c2r=1.74 arc sec
but when i used this relation by giving values i didnt get this value 1.74...wats wrong..can anyone solve this ...

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer 1.74...i multipled the answer by 206264 to convert it into arcsecs..
can anyone tell me how to derive this alpha...alpha=4GM/c2r

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun?

The deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun refers to the amount by which the path of a light ray is bent when it passes near the sun. This phenomenon is known as gravitational lensing and is a result of the sun's massive gravitational pull.

2. How is the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun calculated?

The deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun can be calculated using Einstein's general theory of relativity. This theory predicts the amount of deflection based on the mass of the sun and the distance between the ray of light and the center of the sun.

3. What is the significance of the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun?

The deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun is significant because it provides evidence for the theory of relativity and helps us understand the effects of gravity on light. It also allows us to observe and study distant objects that would otherwise be hidden behind the sun.

4. Can the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun be observed?

Yes, the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun can be observed during a solar eclipse. When the moon passes in front of the sun, it blocks out the light from the sun, allowing us to see the light from distant stars that have been deflected by the sun's gravity.

5. Does the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun change over time?

Yes, the deflection angle of a ray grazing the sun can change over time due to fluctuations in the sun's mass and the distance between the ray of light and the sun. However, these changes are very small and can only be measured with advanced technology.