MPhys Physics 2:2 Reputation - Is it worth Resitting?

• Thread starter santiago100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: If you're only going into corporate life, it isn't that much hassle really. Your world won't go under for getting a second. It's always what you do right about now in the moment of your life that is interesting.
santiago100
Hi guys. I am in the UK currently about to enter my fourth and final year towards a degree in MPhys Physics and I am about 4% away from a 2:1. So at the minute I am on a 2:2 but I am wondering just how well thought of a 2:2 in MPhys is in the 'big bad world'?

If I did get a 2:2 would I be best resitting my final year until I got a 2:1??

Thanks
Santi

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty certain you should really try and make up that 4% this year. Where I am (Durham) the fourth year is worth 30% more (to a physicist's approximation!) than the third year, so 4% shouldn't be that hard to make up (that it's your fourthyear notwithstanding!).

muppet said:
I'm pretty certain you should really try and make up that 4% this year. Where I am (Durham) the fourth year is worth 30% more (to a physicist's approximation!) than the third year, so 4% shouldn't be that hard to make up (that it's your fourthyear notwithstanding!).

Our second year was 15%, third was 35% and this year is 50% so its all to play for ;-) But as a guideline how much in the s**t would I be if I got a 2:2, I mean taking a career as an accountant for example?

Obviously big companies who ask for a 2:1 would say no but I be massively hindered?

Thanks
Santi

santiago: depends, are you going to get a phd? then you should really try hard to get a first. If you're only going into corporate life, it isn't that much hassle really. Your world won't go under for getting a second. It's always what you do right about now in the moment of your life that is interesting.

santiago100 said:
Obviously big companies who ask for a 2:1 would say no but I be massively hindered?

Exactly: you probably won't get a place in graduate schemes with a 2:2 (although you could, of course, try and sell how you really have a master's degree and it's more difficult, etc. etc.) I know people who graduated with 2:2 degrees and have pretty decent jobs now (they didn't graduate in physics, though.)

Of course, since you only have 4% to get, and your final year counts more, it is definitely a good idea to aim for that 2:1, as it is well within reach.

Last edited:
I was in a similar but worse position this year (4th year Physics MSci), I had 51% aggregate mark after my third year, and still managed to get a 2:1 overall by getting a 1st this year.

I was amazed to find I had done well as I never felt like I had got to grips with the subject as I imagined a 1st student would have. But it was just resonable hard work all year, nothing over the top, just keeping on top of things. I just made sure I was doing the module coursework to at least 50% during the year and going over unfamiliar things when they came up and that's it.

I really can't stress enough how far a little hard work can go in this subject. It's not a question of interlect.

As I was prepared for a 2:2 i was thinking of doing an MSc, I think that's the best long term option if you get a 2:2 and you can afford it (student loans won't accommodate you I don't think). I know people with 3rds and 2:2s Bsc and Msci who got onto Msc Physics.

1. Is it common for students to resit their MPhys Physics 2:2 exams?

It is not uncommon for students to resit exams in any field, including physics. Each individual's academic journey is unique and some may require additional time and effort to fully grasp the material and perform well on exams.

2. What are the potential benefits of resitting MPhys Physics 2:2 exams?

Resitting exams can give students a chance to improve their grade and demonstrate their understanding of the material. It can also provide a second chance to strengthen their knowledge and skills in preparation for future courses or research opportunities.

3. Will resitting MPhys Physics 2:2 exams affect my future career prospects?

Resitting exams should not significantly impact your future career prospects. Employers and graduate programs typically look at your overall academic performance and skills, rather than one specific exam or grade. It is important to focus on improving and learning from the experience rather than worrying about the potential impact on your future.

4. What steps should I take to prepare for resitting MPhys Physics 2:2 exams?

First and foremost, it is important to identify the areas where you struggled in the previous exams and work on improving those specific skills or concepts. Seek out additional resources, such as tutoring or study groups, to help you better understand the material. Practice past exam questions and seek feedback from your professors to ensure you are on the right track.

5. Is it worth the time and effort to resit MPhys Physics 2:2 exams?

Ultimately, the decision to resit exams should be based on your personal goals and priorities. If you are determined to improve your grade and feel confident that you can do so with additional preparation, then it may be worth the time and effort. However, if your grade is satisfactory and you do not see a significant benefit in resitting, then it may be better to focus on other academic or extracurricular pursuits.