Equilibrium and Tension: Finding a Tightrope Walker's Mass

In summary, the tightrope walker has a mass of 2000 N and the tension in the cable on the right is 1800 N. The angle on the right is 70º and the one on the left is 80º.
fatmanx

Homework Statement

A tightrope walker stands at position shown below. The Tension in the cable on the right is 1800 N, find the walker's mass.
The angle on the right is 70º and the one on the left is 80º.
tightrope.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So I presume you have to draw a vector diagram, but I am totally unsure of how to do that for this situation. Once the vector diagram is drawn I assume that you use the sin law to figure out the other angle. And then from the force of gravity derive the weight. I just need some help getting started, and then I should be able to do it on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright well, for the free-body diagram, you know the system is in equilibrium (Fnet = 0). Vertically, that means the guy's weight must be equal to what? How about horizontally, what must be equal so the system is in equilibrium?

I know that it all has to add up to 0, therefore the tension in the cable or the force on the poles has to balance out the force of gravity on the guys mass. I understand that, but I just don't know where to start

i'd start with writing out the equations for what you just said, one equation for horizontal forces and one for vertical. you can then solve the equations simultaneously by substitution

vector diagram

fatmanx said:
So I presume you have to draw a vector diagram, but I am totally unsure of how to do that for this situation. Once the vector diagram is drawn I assume that you use the sin law to figure out the other angle. And then from the force of gravity derive the weight. I just need some help getting started, and then I should be able to do it on my own.

Hi fatmanx! :smile:

Before you draw any vector diagram:

i] decide which body the forces are acting on (it must always be the same body)

ii] then draw lines with arrows on the original diagram to show the forces, before you draw the actual force diagram.

So there'll be lines with arrows on the two parts of the cable, and a line with an arrow for the weight of the walker.
Now slide the lines across the page until they all meet and form a triangle, with the arrows going the same way round! :biggrin:

There is a force down...the force of gravity, there are two forces up. What next?

fatmanx said:
There is a force down...the force of gravity, there are two forces up. What next?

Two options:

i] draw a vector triangle:
tiny-tim said:
Now slide the lines across the page until they all meet and form a triangle, with the arrows going the same way round! :biggrin:

or ii] leave all the vectors where they are (sticking out of the guy's feet), and take components in the horizontal and vertical directions.

Do whichever one you've been taught. :smile:

1. What is equilibrium and tension?

Equilibrium and tension are physical concepts that describe the balance of forces acting on an object or system. Equilibrium refers to a state where the net force on an object is zero, meaning there is no acceleration. Tension, on the other hand, is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched by a force applied at both ends.

2. How do you calculate tension in a system?

To calculate tension in a system, you need to consider the forces acting on the object and use Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In a system with tension, the tension force will be equal and opposite to the force applied to stretch or pull the object.

3. What factors affect equilibrium and tension?

The factors that affect equilibrium and tension include the mass of the object, the forces acting on the object, and the angle at which the forces are applied. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also impact the equilibrium and tension in a system.

4. How does an object reach equilibrium?

An object reaches equilibrium when the net force acting on it is zero. This can happen when the forces acting on the object are balanced, or when the object is not moving and the forces are equal and opposite. In some cases, an object may reach equilibrium through the application of external forces that counteract the existing forces.

5. What are some real-life examples of equilibrium and tension?

Equilibrium and tension can be observed in many real-life situations. For example, a tightrope walker maintaining balance on a tightrope is an example of equilibrium. The tension in the rope pulling on the walker's body helps them maintain their balance. Other examples include a person using a pulley system to lift heavy objects or a bridge supporting the weight of cars and pedestrians while under tension from the forces of gravity and wind.