Effect of Dielectric Material on Electric Field in a Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, the question is about the change in electric field when a dielectric material is inserted into a fully charged parallel plate capacitor connected to a battery. The solution involves an increase in capacitance and charge, but the effect on the electric field is unclear. The concept of dielectrics as composed of dipoles is mentioned, but the asker is not familiar with this concept yet.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A fully charged parallel plat capacitor remains connected to a battery while a dielectric is slid between. Does the electric field increase, decrease, or remain the same?

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't know this one or how to show it. I know that potential difference is constant and the capacitance and charge will increase, but I can't figure out the E. field.

Physics news on Phys.org

What happens to a dielectric material when it is placed in an external electric field?

I am not sure

Sheneron said:
I am not sure
Well, what is a dielectric?

a nonconducting material.

Sheneron said:
a nonconducting material.
Erm... yes, but I meant on the atomic scale. In electromagnetism it is useful to think of dielectrics in a magnetic field as to be composed of dipoles. So, when you have a dipole in an electric field how does it tend to align itself with respect to the electric field?

Not quite that far along yet. Is there a more simple solution? We haven't talked about dipoles or magnetic fields.

1. What is a dielectric material?

A dielectric material is a type of insulating material that does not conduct electricity. It is commonly used in electronics to separate different electrical components and prevent short circuits.

2. What is the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how easily a material can be polarized by an applied electric field. It affects the capacitance of a capacitor and determines the strength of the electric field within the material.

3. What is the breakdown voltage of a dielectric material?

The breakdown voltage is the maximum voltage that a dielectric material can withstand before it starts to conduct electricity. It is an important factor in determining the safety and reliability of electronic devices.

4. How does temperature affect dielectric materials?

Temperature can affect the properties of a dielectric material, such as the dielectric constant and breakdown voltage. In general, higher temperatures can decrease the insulating properties of a material, making it more susceptible to electrical conduction.

5. How are dielectric materials used in capacitors?

Dielectric materials are used in capacitors to separate the two metal plates and increase the capacitance. The type of dielectric material used can greatly affect the performance of the capacitor, such as its maximum voltage and frequency range.