Wave energy ~ wave height squ. or wave amplitude squ.?

In summary, there are two formulas for calculating wave energy: one that involves wave length and wave height squared, and another that involves wave period and wave amplitude squared. Although wave period and wave length are equivalent, wave height and wave amplitude are not the same and must be squared differently in the formulas. However, in a "proportional to" relationship, the numerical constants do not matter, so either statement is valid. This clarification was provided by the expert summarizer.
zweistein
Hello,
I've found different formulas regarding wave energy.

1) Wave energy is proportional to wave length [tex]\lambda[/tex] times wave height squared

2) Wave energy is proportional to wave period T times wave amplitude squared

From what I've read, wave period is equivalent to wave length.
But wave height does not equal wave amplitude (for a sinusoidal wave: h=2a) so shouldn't it be 4a?

I think I'm mixing up a few things.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a "proportional to" relationship, numerical constants don't matter. So "proportional to amplitude squared" and "proportional to height squared" are equally valid statements, because amplitude and height are proportional to each other.

Oh, okay, thank you.

1. What is wave energy?

Wave energy is the energy carried by ocean waves. It is a renewable and sustainable source of energy that can be harnessed to generate electricity.

2. How is wave energy measured?

Wave energy can be measured in two ways - wave height squared and wave amplitude squared. Wave height squared is the vertical distance between the trough and crest of a wave, while wave amplitude squared is the maximum displacement of water particles from their resting position due to the wave.

3. How does wave height squared affect wave energy?

The higher the wave height squared, the more energy a wave carries. This is because as the wave travels, it moves more water particles and thus carries more energy.

4. What is the relationship between wave energy and wave amplitude squared?

Wave energy is directly proportional to wave amplitude squared. This means that as the wave amplitude squared increases, the wave energy also increases.

5. How can wave energy be harnessed?

Wave energy can be harnessed using various technologies such as wave energy converters, oscillating water columns, and point absorbers. These technologies capture the movement of ocean waves and convert it into electricity, which can be used to power homes and businesses.