If a + b + c = abc, prove that at least one of (a,b,c) is < or = sqrt(3)

• Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical problem and different methods for solving it. The problem involves proving that at least one of three real numbers (a, b, or c) is less than or equal to the square root of 3. The conversation presents a solution using trigonometry and then discusses another method using the arithmetic mean/geometric mean inequality. Ultimately, it is shown that the given constraint can only be true if one of the three numbers is non-positive.
maverick280857
Hi

Here's a question...

Let a, b, c be three non-zero real numbers such that

a + b + c = abc

Prove that at least one of these three numbers (a, b or c) is less than or equal to the square root of 3.

Can you prove this without trigonometry? The trigonometric solution follows...

Solution (using Trigonometry)

Let a = tan(A), b = tan(B), c = tan(C) (for some nonzero angles A, B, C which are real) so that the given constraint becomes

tan(A) + tan(B) + tan(C) = tan(A)tan(B)tan(C)

which can be true iff A + B + C = n*pie (n is an integer)

If n = 1, then A, B, C are the angles of a triangle (as the constraint is true for angles of a triangle). The result follows by considering cases: of an equilateral triangle where A = B = C = pie/3 radians so that each of a, b and c is equal to sqrt(3); next consider the case of a scalene triangle where A, B and C are all distinct. If A > pie/3, then B+C = pie-A = pie-(qty less than pie/3) and so either B or C is less than pie/3.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cheers
Vivek

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i) [tex]a=b=c=\sqrt{3}[/tex] is a solution of the equation
ii) Setting [tex]a=\sqrt{3}+\hat{a}[/tex] and similarly for b and c

The proof follows readily from this
(i.e., at least one of the hatted numbers must be non-positive.)

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks. Your method is interesting...we get a new constraint on the hatted numbers now...am I right? (I haven't completed the solution using your substitutions..)

Cheers
Vivek

proof without using trig or substitution: use the arithmetic mean/geometric mean inequality

maverick280857 said:
Hi

Thanks. Your method is interesting...we get a new constraint on the hatted numbers now...am I right? (I haven't completed the solution using your substitutions..)

Cheers
Vivek

Yes, you end up with an equation which can be written like

[tex] f(\hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}) = -g(\hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}) [/tex]

And you'll find that for positive values of [tex] \hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}[/tex], the functions f and g must give positive numbers. So you have LHS = positive number and RHS = negative number...a contradiction ! So, one of [tex] \hat{a},\hat{b},\hat{c}[/tex] must not be positive.

Last edited:
Thanks Gokul43201

I get it now :-D

Cheers
Vivek

I don't =[

What is the given equation and condition?

The given equation is a + b + c = abc and the condition is that at least one of (a,b,c) must be less than or equal to the square root of 3 (≤ √3).

Why is the condition important in the equation?

The condition is important because it helps us narrow down the values of a, b, and c that satisfy the equation. Without this condition, there could be infinite solutions to the equation.

How can we prove that at least one of (a,b,c) is ≤ √3?

We can prove this by assuming that all three variables, a, b, and c, are greater than √3. Then, we can use the fact that the square root of any number is always greater than or equal to 0. Using this, we can rearrange the equation to get a + b + c ≥ abc. However, this contradicts the given equation, so our assumption must be false. Therefore, at least one of (a,b,c) must be ≤ √3.

Can we assume that any one of (a,b,c) is ≤ √3?

No, we cannot assume that any one specific variable is ≤ √3. The given condition only states that at least one of (a,b,c) must be ≤ √3, but we do not know which one it is. It could be a, b, or c, depending on the values chosen for the other variables.

Are there any other conditions that can satisfy the equation?

Yes, there are other conditions that can satisfy the equation, such as when all three variables are equal to √3. However, the condition given in the equation is the most general and inclusive condition that guarantees at least one of (a,b,c) is ≤ √3.