Nuclear Effect versus Atomic Effect

In summary, the terms "nuclear effect" and "atomic effect" have been used interchangeably due to the synonymous use of nuclear and atomic in the English language. However, it is important to note that there is a difference between the two. Nuclear physics deals with the study of the atomic nuclei, while atomic physics deals with the study of the entire atom including its nucleus and electrons. The determination of whether something is a nuclear effect or an atomic effect depends on the specific event being studied. For example, the emission of an alpha particle would be considered a nuclear effect if only the decay rate is being studied, but an atomic effect if the ionization probability of the decayed atom is being calculated. Electron capture, which involves both the nucleus and
Fusillade
I'm trying to clarify the terms "nuclear effect" and "atomic effect".

Due to the synonymous use of nuclear and atomic in the English language, the two are often viewed as being the same (as they were when I was in school); however during my current research, I learned that there is a difference such that atomic physics deals with the study of the atom including its nucleus and electrons and nuclear physics deals with the study of only the atomic nuclei.

As a result, can I use those definitions to determine if something is classified as a nuclear effect or an atomic effect?

For instance, is the emission of an alpha particle a nuclear effect or an atomic effect? The emission occurs at the nucleus but wouldn't you need to view the element as a whole to fully understand the effects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fusillade said:
I'm trying to clarify the terms "nuclear effect" and "atomic effect".

Due to the synonymous use of nuclear and atomic in the English language, the two are often viewed as being the same (as they were when I was in school); however during my current research, I learned that there is a difference such that atomic physics deals with the study of the atom including its nucleus and electrons and nuclear physics deals with the study of only the atomic nuclei.

As a result, can I use those definitions to determine if something is classified as a nuclear effect or an atomic effect?

For instance, is the emission of an alpha particle a nuclear effect or an atomic effect? The emission occurs at the nucleus but wouldn't you need to view the element as a whole to fully understand the effects?

It depends on the alpha decay effect you are interested in. If it is only the alpha decay rate, you can forget about the atomic electrons. If you calculate the ionisation probability of a decayed atom, you need the whole atom description.
There are also "nuclear" events occurring only in presence of atomic electrons, like K-capture (the lowest orbit electron is captured with the nucleus proton to become a neutron).

Bob.

Bob_for_short said:
It depends on the alpha decay effect you are interested in. If it is only the alpha decay rate, you can forget about the atomic electrons. If you calculate the ionisation probability of a decayed atom, you need the whole atom description.
There are also "nuclear" events occurring only in presence of atomic electrons, like K-capture (the lowest orbit electron is captured with the nucleus proton to become a neutron).

Bob.

Can't K-capture be the result of an atoms relationship with other atoms resulting in an atomic effect?

Wikipedia said:
If the energy difference between the parent atom and the daughter atom is less than 1.022 MeV, positron emission is forbidden and electron capture is the sole decay mode. For example, Rubidium-83 will decay to Krypton-83 solely by electron capture (the energy difference is about 0.9 MeV).

How can I define "nuclear effect" and "atomic effect" in a manner in which will eliminate any confusion as to the difference between the two?

nuclear effect - dealing ONLY with the nucleus(note that it doesn't deal with ORBITING electrons)
atomic effect - dealing with the ENTIRE atom both nuclei and electrons
in the quote from wikipedia, electron capture is considered an atomic effect and positron/electron emission(beta decay) is considered a nuclear effect

What is the difference between nuclear effect and atomic effect?

The nuclear effect refers to the changes in an atom's nucleus, such as nuclear reactions or decay, while the atomic effect refers to changes in the electron orbitals, such as ionization or excitation.

How do nuclear and atomic effects interact with each other?

Nuclear and atomic effects are closely related and can affect each other. For example, changes in the nucleus can result in changes in the electron orbitals, and vice versa.

What are some real-world applications of nuclear and atomic effects?

Nuclear effects are essential in nuclear power plants and nuclear weapons, while atomic effects are crucial in technologies such as X-ray machines and MRI scanners.

Can nuclear and atomic effects be harmful?

Yes, both nuclear and atomic effects can be harmful. Exposure to high levels of nuclear radiation can lead to serious health issues, while exposure to high-energy atomic particles can cause damage to living cells.

How do scientists study and measure nuclear and atomic effects?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques, such as particle accelerators and spectrometers, to study and measure nuclear and atomic effects. They also conduct experiments and simulations to better understand these effects.