How Do You Calculate the Mass of Planet Z?

In summary, Planet Z has a diameter of 13700 km and a free-fall acceleration of 8.79 m/s2. To find the mass of Planet Z, the equation Gm1m2/r2 can be used, where F=m*a. The given value for acceleration can be plugged in for a, and G can be looked up. Solving for M, the mass of Planet Z is 2.47x10^25.
talaroue

Homework Statement

Planet Z is 13700 km in diameter. The free-fall acceleration on Planet Z is 8.79 m/s2.
What is the mass of Planet Z?

Homework Equations

Gm1m2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how this problem is suppose to be worked at all, any of these kind I am having a problem connecting things together. I thought I would use potential energy which would be -G*M1*M2/r but that won't work because I am not given another weight. So my questions are...

Where do I start?

What equations do I have to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the equation. Simply recognize that

G*M*m/r2 = F

But you know that F = m*a

... so the acceleration part of that expression should be ...

a = G*M/r2

They have given you a and r and you can look up G, so ... solve for M.

FML. You are a genious I was missing the relationship that my equation was equal to force. Now that brings up another question when dealing with gravity will that equation always equal the force?

so i solved for M...and got M=aR^2/g with numbers is 8.79 m/s^2*1.37x10^7 m/ 6.67x10^-11 which comes out to be 2.47x 10^25 correct? It is saying my anwser is worng. I have done it 5 times and it keeps coming up with the same anwser on my calculator.

EDIT: I was rushing and forgot to make it radius instead of Diameter.

You didn't square the radius either in your post, a typo or a genuine mistake?

Typo as well as forgetting to turn it into the radius

What is gravity pull?

Gravity pull is the force that attracts objects towards each other. It is one of the fundamental forces in the universe and is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

How does gravity pull affect an object?

The strength of gravity pull on an object depends on two factors: the mass of the object and the distance between the object and the source of gravity. The greater the mass and the shorter the distance, the stronger the gravity pull will be.

Why do objects fall towards the ground when dropped?

Objects fall towards the ground when dropped because the Earth's mass creates a gravitational force that pulls objects towards its center. This force is stronger than any other force acting on the object, such as air resistance, causing the object to accelerate towards the ground.

Can gravity pull be stronger or weaker on different objects?

Yes, gravity pull can be stronger or weaker on different objects. The strength of gravity pull is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that objects with greater mass will experience a stronger pull of gravity compared to objects with lesser mass.

How does gravity pull work in space?

In space, the absence of air resistance allows objects to fall towards each other without any interference. The strength of gravity pull is still dependent on the mass and distance between objects, but the lack of air resistance means that objects will continue to move towards each other until they collide or a stronger force acts upon them.