Is it possible to construct a circle from line segments?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of inscribing circles within polygons of arbitrary dimensions. The question is whether it is mathematically interesting to explore this concept, especially for polygons with a high number of sides. The discussion also touches upon the difference between inscribed and circumscribed circles and the limits of constructing a circle using line segments.
flatmaster
For the next critical mass ride, I'm going to try to mount a gong inside the front triangle of my bicycle. Naturally, I want to maximize the radius of the gong and learn some geometry. I spent a couple minutes trying to derive it myself. The number of terms to take care of became huge, so I googled it.

http://www.efunda.com/math/areas/CircleInscribeTriangleGen.cfm

Looking at the complxity of the final answer, I suppose I did myself a favor by not solving it the entire way for myself. At one point, I had 36 terms and nothing was canceling.

My question is, for higher dimentions,(a sphere inscribed in an arbitrary pyramid with triangluar base), does this get mathematically interesting? What about polygons with arbitrary numbers of sides and angles?

Physics news on Phys.org
For polygons with a higher number of sides, an interesting question is whether you can inscribe a circle. For example, for a quadrilateral you can only inscribe a circle if the four angle bisectors meet (assuming I remember the condition correctly :) )

Office_Shredder said:
For polygons with a higher number of sides, an interesting question is whether you can inscribe a circle. For example, for a quadrilateral you can only inscribe a circle if the four angle bisectors meet (assuming I remember the condition correctly :) )

I see no reason why you can't inscribe a circle within a regular polygon of n sides (no matter how large n is). However, I believe the inscribed circle is not the limit circle of the regular polygon as n approaches infinity. The limit circle is the circle circumscribing the polygon. Why?

Last edited:
SW VandeCarr said:
I see no reason why you can't inscribe a circle within a regular polygon of n sides (no matter how large n is). However, I believe the inscribed circle is not the limit circle of the regular polygon as n approaches infinity. The limit circle is the circle circumscribing the polygon. Why?

Considering the OP is about arbitrary triangles, I assumed he was referring to arbitrary polygons too.

I'm not sure what you mean with the inscribed and circumscribed circle thing... I would have thought the difference in area between them goes to zero. I'll have to check

Office_Shredder said:
Considering the OP is about arbitrary triangles, I assumed he was referring to arbitrary polygons too.

I'm not sure what you mean with the inscribed and circumscribed circle thing... I would have thought the difference in area between them goes to zero. I'll have to check

There's another post in the Set Theory forum entitled "an impossible circle" (yyttr2, Jun 2) where aspects of this were discussed. The initial opinion was that you can't construct a circle from line segments. The discussion then went to whether a point is a limiting "length" of a line segment. I argued that a line segment cannot be reduced to a point analytically and still be a line segment. To take a limit, you need a (conceptual) tangent line segment to a point on a differentiable function (for derivatives that are not constants). A point doesn't have a slope.

The edges of the regular polygon are tangent line segments to the inscribed circle. Can they go to zero length and still be tangent "line segments"? No scalar field is necessarily defined for this problem.

EDIT: If I'm correct, the area of the regular polygon equals the area of the circumscribed circle at the limit and the inscribed circle is not defined at the limit.

Last edited:

1. What is a circle inscribed in a circle?

A circle inscribed in a circle is a smaller circle that is tangent to the larger circle at exactly one point and lies completely inside the larger circle.

2. How can you find the radius of a circle inscribed in a circle?

The radius of the smaller circle can be found by dividing the radius of the larger circle by 2.

3. What is the relationship between the two radii in a circle inscribed in a circle?

The radius of the smaller circle is always half of the radius of the larger circle.

4. Can a circle inscribed in a circle have a larger radius than the larger circle?

No, the radius of the smaller circle will always be smaller than the radius of the larger circle in a circle inscribed in a circle.

5. What is the area of a circle inscribed in a circle?

The area of the smaller circle can be found by using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the smaller circle.