Exploring C.R. Woese's "A New Biology for a New Century

• Thread starter iansmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, C.R. Woese, a microbiologist, wrote an article titled "A New Biology for a New Century" discussing the current state of biology and the direction it should take. At a conference, some microbiologists agreed with his views and welcomed input from physicists as he also covers some physics history. Woese has a background in math, physics, and biophysics, and has made significant contributions to the classification of archaea. The full article is currently available for subscribers, but will be open to all users on June 1, 2005. It can also be obtained from the author or through notes on the main points.
iansmith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Couple weeks ago, I read an article by Carl R. Woese titled "A New Biology for a New Century" . Woese discuss the state of biology nowadays and the direction it should follows. We were discussing the article amongst some microbiologist the other at our conference and what came out was that he was rigth. I was wondering what you guys at to say. He is also convering some physics history, so physicists are more than welcome to comment on his view.

C.R. Woese is a microbiologist at the Univeristy of Illinois at Urban-champaign. He hold a B. Sc. in math and physics and a PhD in biophysics. http://www.life.uiuc.edu/micro/faculty/faculty_woese.htm
He has also done major works on archeas and their classification.

So background reading
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=12077305
http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=175

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
The full article is behind a subscription wall. From the abstract I couldn't learn what he wants to put in place of molecular biology. What is the new discipline that will do the things molecular biology can't?

Carl Woese to be freed on June 1, 2005

selfAdjoint said:
The full article is behind a subscription wall.
...http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=419918 2005.

• free for subscribers now; free for all users 12 months after publication, on June 1, 2005

I have the article on my computer and I can make available do anyone who wants it. I can also try to make notes of the major points from the article.

1. What is the main idea behind C.R. Woese's "A New Biology for a New Century"?

The main idea behind C.R. Woese's "A New Biology for a New Century" is the proposal of a new way to classify and understand the diversity of life on Earth. Woese argues that the traditional method of grouping organisms based on physical characteristics is outdated and instead suggests using molecular data to create a more accurate and comprehensive tree of life.

2. How does Woese's proposed classification system differ from traditional methods?

Woese's proposed classification system differs from traditional methods in that it focuses on the genetic relatedness between organisms rather than their physical characteristics. This means that organisms may be grouped together based on their evolutionary history, even if they do not share similar physical traits.

3. What impact could Woese's proposed biology have on the scientific community?

Woese's proposed biology has the potential to revolutionize the way we understand and study life on Earth. By using molecular data to classify organisms, we may be able to gain a deeper understanding of their evolutionary relationships and potentially uncover new information about the origins of life.

4. What criticisms have been raised against Woese's proposed biology?

Some criticisms of Woese's proposed biology include the difficulty in obtaining and interpreting molecular data for all organisms, as well as the potential for this new system to create confusion and disrupt the traditional classification system currently in use.

5. How can Woese's proposed biology be applied in practical settings?

Woese's proposed biology has potential applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and environmental science. By understanding the genetic relatedness between organisms, we may be able to develop more effective treatments for diseases, improve crop yields, and better understand the impact of human activity on the environment.

Back