Find some vector function whose image is the intersection of two surfaces

In summary, The problem is to find a parametric equation for a circle in 3D space, given a plane intersecting a sphere of radius 3. The center of the circle is (1,1,1) and the radius is √6. The preferred method is to find two perpendicular vectors, r1 and r2, from the center of the circle to the edge. Then, use the parametric equation \textbf{p}(t) = \textbf{c} + \textbf{r}_1 cos(t) + \textbf{r}_2 sin(t) where \textbf{c} is the center point vector, \textbf{r}_1 and \textbf{r
ramb
Hi all, I'm quite new here, but it's been a while since I've been browsing through these forums for past answered questions for calculus and physics, but now comes the time where I'm the one needing help that's not been questioned yet.

Homework Statement

Find some* vector funcion r with domain (-∞,∞) whose image is the intersection of the two surfaces:
x²+y²+z²=9,
x+y+z=3.
*: vector fuction must not contain inverse trig functions or +/ square routes.

2. Gameplan

Well, what I started to do was draw a picture of the plane cutting through the sphere, luckily the radius of it was 3 and the x,y,z intercepts of the plane landed on the sphere too. So I thought I could set the equations equal to each other and from there find a parametric function that I can put into a vector function form.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I had found for setting both equations equal to each other is
x²+y²+z²=3x+3y+3z
=
(x-3/2)²+(y-3/2)²+(z-3/2)²=27/4
from this, this gives me an equation on a sphere which confuses me becuase I thought that the intersection of two surfaces would be a line (which I hoped to have happen when setting both equations equal to each other)
Also, I've found the centroid of triangle formed by the x,y,z intercepts of the plane which is (1,1,1). The closest point from the centroid to the surface of the sphere is (sqrt(3),sqrt(3),sqrt(3)).
Much help would be appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi ramb, hope this helps..

ok so first off thinking about this geometrically as you've pointed out its a plane intersecting a sphere of radius 3, which will give a circle

so you're trying to parametrise a vector function which traces out that circle

as a check you know both the sphere & the plane cross the x,y,z axis at the points
(3,0,0)
(0,3,0)
(0,0,3)
and these points will be on the circle, in fact these points should actually be enough to work out the circle, though not sure if that's the easiest way

i think the point you found on the plane (1,1,1) is actually the centre of the circle

this give the radius as
sqrt(|(3,0,0)-(1,1,1)|^2) = sqrt(2^2+1+1)= sqrt(6)...

from here we can parameterise

so why can't you use square roots or trig functions? and any ideas what the preferred method is?

Last edited:
sorry that said inverse trig functions, now worries then...

you know the centre of your circle, radius & its orientation, now find 2 perpindicular vectors to represent the radial direction & parameterise using sinusoids

Last edited:
ramb said:
Hi all, I'm quite new here, but it's been a while since I've been browsing through these forums for past answered questions for calculus and physics, but now comes the time where I'm the one needing help that's not been questioned yet.

Homework Statement

Find some* vector funcion r with domain (-∞,∞) whose image is the intersection of the two surfaces:
x²+y²+z²=9,
x+y+z=3.
*: vector fuction must not contain inverse trig functions or +/ square routes.

2. Gameplan

Well, what I started to do was draw a picture of the plane cutting through the sphere, luckily the radius of it was 3 and the x,y,z intercepts of the plane landed on the sphere too. So I thought I could set the equations equal to each other and from there find a parametric function that I can put into a vector function form.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I had found for setting both equations equal to each other is
x²+y²+z²=3x+3y+3z
=
(x-3/2)²+(y-3/2)²+(z-3/2)²=27/4
from this, this gives me an equation on a sphere which confuses me becuase I thought that the intersection of two surfaces would be a line (which I hoped to have happen when setting both equations equal to each other)
Setting the two equations equal does not guarantee that either equation is satisfied separately.

Also, I've found the centroid of triangle formed by the x,y,z intercepts of the plane which is (1,1,1). The closest point from the centroid to the surface of the sphere is (sqrt(3),sqrt(3),sqrt(3)).
Much help would be appreciated

Thanks
Try this- since x+ y+ z= 3 is linear, solve for one of the variables, say z. Replace z in the equation of the sphere by that. Now you have a single equation in x and y. Can you write x and y in terms of a single parameter, t, say, so that equation is satisfied?

You may have to "rotate" the coordinate system to get something simple.

Hi, thanks for your responses. I understand that I can use Halls of Ivy's method once I parameterize x and y, but I am still confused about an equation of a circle in 3D space, the fact that it's tilted in 3D will make projections on x y and z all ellipses. Must I put the equation in cartesian first, then go to the parametric?

if the vector to the centre of the circle is c, and if you find 2 perindicular vectors, in the direction from the centre to the circle edge, r1 and r2then you can parametrise as follows

[tex] \textbf{p}(t) = \textbf{c} + \textbf{r}_1 cos(t) + \textbf{r}_2 sin(t) [/tex]

not the following is also true
[tex] \textbf{r}_2 \bullet \textbf{r}_1 = 0 [/tex]
and as the centre point vector is perindicular to teh plane of teh circle then (in this case)
[tex] \textbf{c} \bullet \textbf{r}_1 = \textbf{c} \bullet \textbf{r}_2 = 0 [/tex]

1. How do I find a vector function whose image is the intersection of two surfaces?

To find a vector function whose image is the intersection of two surfaces, you can set up a system of equations using the equations of the two surfaces. Then, solve for the parameters of the vector function using techniques such as substitution or elimination.

2. What is the significance of finding a vector function for the intersection of two surfaces?

Finding a vector function for the intersection of two surfaces allows us to represent the intersection as a single mathematical object, making it easier to study and manipulate. This can also be useful in applications such as computer graphics and engineering.

3. Can there be multiple vector functions for the intersection of two surfaces?

Yes, there can be multiple vector functions for the intersection of two surfaces. This is because there are infinite ways to represent the same intersection using different parameters in the vector function.

4. Are there any restrictions on the types of surfaces that can be intersected to find a vector function?

No, there are no restrictions on the types of surfaces that can be intersected to find a vector function. As long as the two surfaces have a common intersection, a vector function can be found to represent it.

5. Is there a general method for finding a vector function for the intersection of any two surfaces?

Yes, there is a general method for finding a vector function for the intersection of any two surfaces. This involves setting up a system of equations using the equations of the two surfaces and solving for the parameters of the vector function. However, the specific techniques used to solve the system of equations may vary depending on the complexity of the surfaces.