Solving non Homogeneous second order differential equation

In summary, the homework statement is to find the general solution to y'' + y = sec3(x). However, the attempt at a solution does not work because sec(x) is not one of the functions that form solutions for homogeneous linear equations with constant coefficients. However, by using variation of parameters, the homework statement can be solved for u' and v'.
phil ess

Homework Statement

Find the general solution to y'' + y = sec3(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I can get the characteristic equation:

r2 + 1 = 0
r = +-i

Then the homogeneous solution is yh = C1excos(x) + C2exsin(x)

And I know y = yh + yp

but how do I get yp? I've never dealt with powers of cos, only polynomials and ex, so I am not sure how to construct the particular solution.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried a few things but didn't get anywhere. You might try yp = Atan x, or yp = Asec x tan x, and see if they get you anywhere. An identity that will probably be useful is sec2x = tan2x + 1.

First, yes, the characteristic equation is [itex]r^2+ 1= 0[/itex] which has roots i and -i. That does NOT mean [itex]y(x)= C_1e^x cos(x)+ C_2e^x sin(x)[/itex]. That would correspond to roots 1+ i and 1- i. The general solution to the associated homogeneous equation is [itex]y(x)= C_1 cos(x)+ C_2 sin(x)[/itex]

Since "sec(x)" is NOT one of the functions that forms solutions for homogeneous linear equations with constant coefficients (polynomials, exponentials, sine and cosine, and combinations of those), there will be no simple way to use "undetermined coefficients".

But you can use "variation of parameters". Look for a solution of the form y(x)= u(x)cos(x)+ v(x)sin(x) where u(x) and v(x) are unknown functions. Notice that we don't need any special knowledge here. Given any solution, y, we could create many functions "u" and "v" that would work. From y= ucos(x)+ vsin(x), y'= u' cos(x)- u sin(x)+ v' sin(x)+ v cos(x). Because there are, as I said, many different function u and v we can simplify our "search" by also requiring that u' cos(x)+ v' sin(x)= 0. With that condition, y'= -u sin(x)+ v cos(x) and then y"= -u' sin(x)- u cos(x)+ v' cos(x)- v sin(x).

Putting those into y"+ y= sec3(x) we have (-u' sin(x)- u cos(x)+ v' cos(x)- v sin(x))+ (u cos(x)+ v sin(x))= -u' sin(x)+ v' cos(x)= sec3(x).

That, -u' sin(x)+ v'cos(x)= sec3(x), and u' cos(x)+ v' sin(x)= 0 give two equations that can be treated as ordinary algebraic equations to be solved for u' and v'. Then integrate to find u and v.

Yeah sorry I realize ex shouldn't be there.

Your stuff was a little hard to follow so I researched the variation of parameters method a little and found basically this:

Untitled-5.jpg

since W() = 1 I get

[tex]yp = -y1 \int sin(x)sec\stackrel{3}{}(x) dx + y2 \int sec\stackrel{2}{} dx[/tex]

Where y1 = c1cos(x) and y2 = C2sin(x)

And then after some math I get

[tex]yp = \frac{C\stackrel{}{2}sin\stackrel{2}{}(x) - C\stackrel{}{1}}{cos(x)}[/tex] ?

Does this look correct?

1. What is a non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

A non-homogeneous second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, and also includes a non-zero function on the right-hand side. This means that the equation is not equal to zero, making it a non-homogeneous equation.

2. How do you solve a non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

To solve a non-homogeneous second order differential equation, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. These methods involve finding a particular solution and then adding it to the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation.

3. What is the general form of a non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

The general form of a non-homogeneous second order differential equation is y'' + p(x)y' + q(x)y = g(x), where y is the unknown function, p(x) and q(x) are coefficients, and g(x) is the non-zero function on the right-hand side.

4. Can a non-homogeneous second order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a non-homogeneous second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution is a combination of the particular solution and the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation, which can have multiple solutions.

5. What are some real-life applications of non-homogeneous second order differential equations?

Non-homogeneous second order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model systems with external forces or sources, such as mechanical systems with friction, electrical circuits with voltage sources, and chemical reactions with reactants. They are also commonly used in the study of oscillations and vibrations.