Velocity of the Moon (magnitude and direction)

In summary, corykowa was struggling with a homework problem involving the velocity of the moon relative to the center of the Earth. She attempted to solve it using different formulas and methods, but ultimately was unsuccessful. She then provided a summary of her calculations, which showed that the average acceleration was (-v^2/R)ey and that the instantaneous acceleration was also (-v^2/R). She also attempted to solve for the direction of the average acceleration, but was not successful.
corykowa

Homework Statement

1. Homework Statement

The velocity of the Moon relative to the center of the Earth can be approximated by varrowbold(t) = v [−sin (ωt) xhatbold + cos (ωt) yhatbold], where v = 945 m/s and ω = 2.46 multiplied by 10−6 radians/s. (The time required for the Moon to complete one orbit is 29.5 days.) To approximate the instantaneous acceleration of the Moon at t = 0, calculate the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration during the following two time intervals.

(a) between t = 0 and t = 0.200 days
______ m/s
______ degrees (counterclockwise from the +x axis)

(b) between t = 0 and t = 0.0020 days
_____ m/s
_____ degrees (counterclockwise from the +x axis)

The Attempt at a Solution

When I try to solve for Vx and Vy I get the same result for each one, yielding zero, and if I try another method, i get very minute numbers. None of which appear to be correct. I'm at a loss for how to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi corykowa! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(on this forum, just use the bold (B) tag for vectors: v = v[−sin (ωt)i + cos (ωt)j] :wink:)
corykowa said:
… calculate the magnitude and direction of the average acceleration during the following two time intervals.

What formula did you use for average acceleration?

Show us what you tried, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Hi thanks for the help. I was thinking since the moon is moving around us, that it would be a centripetal acceleration problem? But maybe that's where I was going wrong. So I was using that formula in relation to vectors...

a = -lim (v/2*theta)2vsin(theta)ey as lim of theta approaches zero = (-v^2/R)ey

Hi corykowa! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
corykowa said:
Hi thanks for the help. I was thinking since the moon is moving around us, that it would be a centripetal acceleration problem? But maybe that's where I was going wrong. So I was using that formula in relation to vectors...

a = -lim (v/2*theta)2vsin(theta)ey as lim of theta approaches zero = (-v^2/R)ey

(have a theta: θ and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

No, you're misreading the question.

It's only asking you for the average acceleration.

(a), over 0.2 days, will give you a figure close to the instantaneous acceleration, and (b), over 0.002 days, will give you a figure even closer.

The formula you need is average acceleration = (v(t2) - v(t1))/(t2 - t1) :wink:

Oh thank you much! I just tried that equation and my response "differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude". I'm not too sure what that means... I feel like i must be off by 10^x in my answer but not too sure how to go about figuring that out?? I got 945 when t=2 and 1.89 when t=.002. Also, I still don't understand how to solve for the direction (in relation to the +x axis). I figure it has something to do with arctan?? Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi corykowa! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
corykowa said:
Oh thank you much! I just tried that equation and my response "differs from the correct answer by orders of magnitude". I'm not too sure what that means... I feel like i must be off by 10^x in my answer but not too sure how to go about figuring that out?? I got 945 when t=2 and 1.89 when t=.002. Also, I still don't understand how to solve for the direction (in relation to the +x axis). I figure it has something to do with arctan?? Thank you!

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Did you remember to convert the days into seconds? :wink:

Show us your full calculations, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

(and y/x is the tangent of the angle from the x-azis)

I had completely spaced converting days into seconds. However, what I ended up doing was:

differentiate v(t) = v( -sin(wt) + cos(wt)) which is
-v(w) (cos(wt) + sin(wt)) you have the acceleration
v(w) = 2.32 x 10^-3 meter/sec^2
At t = 0 days, the acceleration is - 2.32 x 10^-3 meters/sec^2

This appears to be what my homework was asking me as webassign accepted this as correct.

I'm still in the process of figuring out the direction part though. I'm trying: [tex]\theta[/tex] = artan Vy/Vx

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the velocity of the Moon and how is it measured?

The velocity of the Moon refers to its speed and direction of motion in relation to the Earth. It is measured using a combination of astronomical observations and mathematical calculations.

2. How does the velocity of the Moon affect its orbit around the Earth?

The velocity of the Moon affects its orbit around the Earth by determining the shape and size of its orbit. A faster velocity will result in a larger and more elliptical orbit, while a slower velocity will result in a smaller and more circular orbit.

3. What is the magnitude of the Moon's velocity compared to other celestial objects?

The Moon's velocity is relatively slow compared to other celestial objects. It has an average velocity of 1.023 km/s, while planets like Earth and Mars have velocities of 29.78 km/s and 24.13 km/s respectively.

4. Does the velocity of the Moon change over time?

Yes, the velocity of the Moon is not constant and can change over time. This is due to various factors such as the Moon's distance from the Earth, gravitational pull from other celestial objects, and the Earth's rotation and orbit around the Sun.

5. How does the direction of the Moon's velocity affect its position in the sky?

The direction of the Moon's velocity, also known as its angular momentum, determines its position in the sky. As the Moon moves around the Earth, its direction of motion changes, causing it to rise and set at different points on the horizon throughout its monthly orbit.