Explaining the Logic Behind Skin Color

In summary: WT.mc_id=SA_DailyNewsIn summary, the author of the article states that skin color evolved to balance the effects of too much exposure such as skin cancer with the effects of too little exposure such as rickets.
Wannabeagenius
Hi All,

I know that the environment is responsible for people of African descent having black skin and people of Scandinavian descent have white skin but I cannot figure out the logic behind this.

I thought it had to do with the absorption of Vitamin D from the sun and the Scandinavian people developed white skin in order to absorb more sunlight per unit time due to living in a climate with less sunlight. However, the problem with this is that white skin reflects more sunlight than black skin so by my reasoning, Africans should be white and Scandinavians black.

What is wrong with my logic?

Thank you,
Bob

Biology news on Phys.org
I think this is a basic evolution principle that I have no credibility in saying, I just assumed I was correct, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. I don't think its the fact that one reflects more than the other. In Africa there is a lot of sun, and the sun burns your skin. What makes skin the colour it is, is called melanin. I think that after thousands and thousands of years of being under the sun, evolution produced more melanin so that the burns were less severe.

I think its to do with DNA protection, as melanin is located at the top of nucleus in the keratinocytes. Europeans are normally exposed to less sunlights UV radiation so they normally don't need that much of it.

Actually, people of all skin colors produce roughly about the same amount of melanin. The difference is mostly in the abundance of enzymes to break down the melanin, and how much of that melanin is transported nearer the skin surface. The melanin is there and ready to be released upon more skin exposure (i.e., getting a tan).

White skin is also not bright white, it's more appropriate to just refer to it as a lighter skin color than "white", and it isn't particularly reflective, so that line of reasoning really isn't very accurate.

I thought it had to do with the absorption of Vitamin D from the sun and the Scandinavian people developed white skin in order to absorb more sunlight per unit time due to living in a climate with less sunlight. However, the problem with this is that white skin reflects more sunlight than black skin so by my reasoning, Africans should be white and Scandinavians black.
People from Europe didn't develop white skin to absorb more sunlight per unit time. That is actually very illogical thinking. Logically, black absorbs all light and white reflects it. Meaning a darker color, the warmer/hotter your skin would get. The function of melanin is to protect the epidermis from sun burns. African people live in a hotter climate with more sunlight, So, their melanocytes produced more melanin to protect them. The Scandinavians, however, didn't live in such a hot climate. Sunburn was not as big of a threat to their survival, so their melanocytes produced less melanin. By the way, the more melanin you have, generally the darker your skin is.

Last edited:
JerryClower said:
People from Europe didn't develop white skin to absorb more sunlight per unit time. That is actually very illogical thinking.
This is not correct. This is clearly shown by the fact that people with a very dark skin color in countries in the northern hemisphere are more likely to get a vitamin D deficiency, while people with a lighter skin color are not (vitamin D production requires exposure to sunlight).

Melanin is the natural UV-filter of the skin. Regions around the equator get more intense sunlight, so need stronger protection from the harmful rays of the sun. That is why people with an ancestry in that region have a type and quantity of melanin in their skin that turns their skin a dark color. The melanin absorbs the UV radiation and stops it from penetrating the skin. That's the clue why you need less or different melanin when the sunlight is less intense: some of the light needs to be absorbed by regular skin cells in order to make vitamin D.
Also, you will have less selection on skin containing a lot of melanin. Why put a lot of energy in producing melanin when you do not really need it to prevent sunburn?

Last edited:
Scientific American had an article on this issue a number of years ago. If I remember correctly, its point was that skin color evolved to balance the effects of too much exposure such as skin cancer with the effects of too little exposure such as rickets.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=skin-deep

What causes differences in skin color among people?

The primary factor that determines skin color is the amount and type of melanin produced by melanocytes in the skin. Melanin is a pigment that gives skin its color, and individuals with more melanin will have darker skin tones.

Why do people from different regions have different skin colors?

The amount of melanin in the skin is also influenced by genetics and evolution. As humans migrated to different regions of the world, their skin adapted to the specific levels of sunlight and UV radiation in that region. For example, people living closer to the equator have more melanin to protect their skin from the intense sunlight, while those living in colder climates have less melanin to allow for better absorption of vitamin D.

Is skin color a reliable indicator of race or ethnicity?

No, skin color is not a reliable indicator of race or ethnicity. While certain ethnic groups may have a higher prevalence of certain skin tones, there is a wide range of skin colors within each race and ethnicity. Additionally, race is a social construct and has no biological basis.

Can skin color change over time?

Yes, skin color can change over time due to a variety of factors such as sun exposure, hormonal changes, and aging. For example, individuals may develop a tan during the summer months due to increased sun exposure, but this tan will fade over time if they are not exposed to the sun regularly.

Are there any health implications associated with different skin colors?

While skin color itself does not have any direct health implications, individuals with lighter skin tones may be more susceptible to sun damage and skin cancer due to their lower levels of melanin. On the other hand, darker skin tones may be more prone to vitamin D deficiency in areas with less sunlight. It is important for individuals of all skin tones to protect their skin and maintain a balanced intake of vitamin D through diet or supplements.