Principal of virtual work

This could be due to an error in the calculation or an incorrect assumption about the displacement of the support.
Dell
using the principal of virtual work, find the reactions of the following structure

Capture.PNG

as far as i know, to solve using virtual work i take the statically determinate structure and release one of the support reactions making it indeterminate (1st degree),

after picking my brain with the geometry i came to the assumption that when the right side drops δ, the left side rises δ, (when i release the "y" reaction on the left side), this gives me

Ay*δ=P*δ
Ay=P (↑)

when i release the middle "y" reaction, i get

By*δ/2=P*δ
By=2P (↓)

since i can use statics to solve these i know that they are correct,

but for the "x" reactions i know (from statics) that Ax=Bx=0
but using virtual work, when i release one of the "x" reactions, let's say the left one,
since the support A can move(↔) since the lengths of the bars don't change, when the support moves to the right, the point at P, must drop, leaving me with

Ax*Δ=P*δ
Ax=P*δ/Δ

havent bothered trying to find the relation of δ-Δ since i know that Ax is meant to be 0.

a) what is the best way to prove that when the left side rises δ, the right side drops δ,
b) what am i doing wrong with my calculations for Ax, Bx?

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The best way to prove that when the left side rises δ, the right side drops δ, is to use the principle of virtual work. This states that the total work done by the forces on a system remains unchanged if the system undergoes a virtual displacement. Thus, if the left side rises δ and the right side drops δ, the total work done by the forces must remain the same. This can be verified by calculating the work done by the forces on both sides before and after the displacement. If the work done is equal, then the displacement is valid. b) For the reactions Ax and Bx, you are correct in using virtual work to calculate the change in the forces due to the displacement. However, the result you are getting (Ax=P*δ/Δ) is incorrect since the displacement of the support A is not related to the force P. The correct result should be Ax=0.

1. What is the Principle of Virtual Work?

The Principle of Virtual Work is a fundamental concept in mechanics that states that the virtual work done by the internal and external forces acting on a system in equilibrium is equal to zero. This means that for a system to be in equilibrium, the sum of the virtual work done by all the forces acting on it must be zero.

2. How is the Principle of Virtual Work used in engineering?

The Principle of Virtual Work is used in engineering to solve problems related to static equilibrium and structural analysis. It allows engineers to determine the internal forces and stresses within a structure without having to directly measure them, by using virtual displacements and the principle of equilibrium.

3. What are virtual displacements?

Virtual displacements are hypothetical or imaginary displacements of a system that are used in the Principle of Virtual Work. They are usually infinitesimally small and do not actually occur in the system, but they help in determining the virtual work done by the forces acting on the system.

4. What is the difference between virtual work and actual work?

Virtual work is a theoretical concept used in the Principle of Virtual Work, while actual work is a physical quantity that can be measured. Virtual work is calculated based on hypothetical or imaginary displacements, while actual work is calculated based on real displacements and the forces acting on the system.

5. Can the Principle of Virtual Work be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, the Principle of Virtual Work can be applied to all types of systems, as long as they are in equilibrium. This includes mechanical systems, electrical circuits, and even biological systems. The key requirement is that the system must be in equilibrium for the principle to be applicable.