How to dissolve PVC thermoplastic

In summary, to dissolve PVC thermoplastic on electrical wires, you could heat the wires to near melting temperature and peel it off. Alternatively, you could use acetone, which is readily available at stores and dissolves PVC due to its strong chemical properties.
samblohm
How would i dissolve the pvc thermoplastic on electrical wires? (with chemicals that are attainable easily from stores)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do you simply want to remove the thermoplastic from the wires? If so, you could heat the wires to 80-90 degrees celcius, near the melting temperature, and peel it off, I suppose.

The type of PVC you talk about is likely an addition polymer (as opposed to a radical polymer), which probably doesn't dissolve easily, due to the high molecular weight and strong intermolecular Van der Waals forces.

Acetone dissolves PVC.

alxm said:
Acetone dissolves PVC.

I was just going to suggest this. Acetone messes up just about any plastic.

There are a few options for dissolving PVC thermoplastic, but it is important to handle any chemicals with caution and follow safety protocols. One common method is to use a solvent such as acetone or methyl ethyl ketone (MEK). These can often be found at hardware or home improvement stores. However, it is important to note that these solvents can be flammable and should be used in a well-ventilated area.
To dissolve PVC thermoplastic on electrical wires, you can soak them in the solvent for a period of time, or use a cloth soaked in the solvent to wipe the surface. It may take some time and effort to fully dissolve the PVC, so be patient and continue to apply the solvent until the plastic is fully dissolved.
Another option is to use a mixture of hot water and vinegar. This can be a more accessible and safer option, as vinegar is a common household item. However, it may not be as effective as the solvents mentioned above.
In any case, it is important to dispose of any leftover solvents or vinegar properly and to avoid contact with the dissolved PVC, as it may still contain harmful chemicals. Always wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling chemicals.

1. Can PVC thermoplastic be dissolved?

Yes, PVC thermoplastic can be dissolved using certain chemicals and solvents.

2. What chemicals can be used to dissolve PVC thermoplastic?

Chemicals such as acetone, tetrahydrofuran, and dimethylformamide can be used to dissolve PVC thermoplastic.

3. How do I dissolve PVC thermoplastic?

The most effective way to dissolve PVC thermoplastic is to place the material in a container with the chosen solvent and agitate or stir until the PVC is fully dissolved.

4. Is it safe to dissolve PVC thermoplastic?

Dissolving PVC thermoplastic can release harmful fumes and should only be done in a well-ventilated area with the proper safety precautions. It is recommended to wear protective gear such as gloves and a mask when handling the chemicals.

5. What can I do with the dissolved PVC thermoplastic?

The dissolved PVC thermoplastic can be used to create new products or be disposed of properly according to local regulations. It is important to handle and dispose of the dissolved PVC with care to avoid harm to the environment.