Buy a condo for less than a new car

• News
  • Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the condo my mother sold in 2005 for $350K was on a canal and included a dock space. Prices in south Florida have collapsed and my mother got out at the right time.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
http://money.cnn.com/2010/08/02/real_estate/condos_less_than_cars/index.htm?hpt=T2

Reading about the ones in south Florida for around $25K made me think of my mother selling her condo in Fort Lauderdale (1 bed, 1.5 baths, small older building) in summer 2005 for $350K. :bugeye: That building is on a canal and the unit included a dock space, so I expect even nowadays it would sell for a bit more than average. Still, the last time we heard from the person who lives in the unit next door, about a year ago, the word was that prices were down a lot and some of the units were vacant.

My mother got out at just the right time. I think it was the following winter that housing prices in south Florida hit their peak and started to collapse.

Now that I look back on it some more, I think one reason prices went so high in her building was that that particular island was starting to be redeveloped. Right across the street, several older rental-apartment buildings had been torn down and a big new condominium was going up, with units for sale in the range of several $100K to $1M. I think the expectation was that my mother's building would follow suit eventually. I think that new building never did get finished.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Darn, I should move to Florida.

I thought an "m" was missing, and didn't understand jtbell's enthusiastic post.
Now I do.

Even if I had spelled out all the way, it still might not have helped. Do you know the joke about the definition of the word "condominium?" :biggrin:

jtbell said:
Even if I had spelled out all the way, it still might not have helped. Do you know the joke about the definition of the word "condominium?" :biggrin:
No, I don't! Smile:

Okay I will be the wet blanket. In my area the issue is not finding cheap, there are many of cheap units and houses, but it is the maintanence fees. From 200 a month to 1800. In 2 years.

From my understand a lot of the developers created "property management" companies and the housing coop has a long term contract with that mangement company.

In my area you can a place for 10,000, but the management fees are unbelievable.

What does "Buy a condo for less than a new car" mean?

"Buy a condo for less than a new car" refers to the possibility of purchasing a condominium, which is a type of housing unit, for a price that is lower than the cost of a brand new car. This statement highlights the potential affordability of condos compared to other types of real estate.

How much does a condo typically cost?

The cost of a condo can vary greatly depending on factors such as location, size, amenities, and demand. In general, condos tend to be more affordable than single-family homes, but the exact cost can range from tens of thousands to millions of dollars.

Why would someone consider buying a condo instead of a house?

There are several reasons why someone might choose to buy a condo instead of a house. Condos often offer lower maintenance and upkeep costs, as the building's management takes care of many tasks. They also tend to be located in more urban areas, making them a convenient option for those who prefer city living.

Is buying a condo a good investment?

As with any type of real estate, whether buying a condo is a good investment depends on various factors. Some condos may appreciate in value over time, while others may not. It's important to carefully research the market, location, and potential for rental income before making a decision.

Are there any downsides to buying a condo instead of a house?

One potential downside to buying a condo is that you do not have as much control over the property as you would with a house. For example, you may have to follow rules and regulations set by the building's management. Additionally, you typically have to pay monthly fees for maintenance and amenities, which can add to the overall cost of owning a condo.